RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• The first thing it does is look at /var/run/xorg-configure.done and exit if it exists. Remove that file before running. When looking at a script you start at the top and read line by line. You don't need to be a programmer to figure out what it does.

Edited once, last by escalade (May 10, 2017 at 6:46 PM).

• Absolutely, I've sent you a PM with a complete theme! :)

Test results so far:

mp4/aac = no sound
    mp4/mp3 = no sound
    avi/wav = no sound (mp4 apparently can't use raw PCM)

My ffmpeg-fu doesn't seem to be as strong as I thought.
    But main takeaways from this (still haven't found a way to mux/convert mp4/aac to mp4/pcm) is that it might work with a mkv container.
    So far, the only format I've been able to play so far via aplay (console) is Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono, which would make the video snaps huge!

Do you think it would be possible to enable the codecs with vlc/libvlc? :)
    [hr]
    Some more findings:
    The last try was to use an .avi container with PCM 16 Uncompressed Audio, but still no sounds.
    Although, I can hear the clicks used within the theme inside Emulationstation, I did notice that the sound settings in emulationstations menu is always set to 0

Also, in es_log.txt I found an error.
    VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements

I don't know if this is the real issue or not, but I found some interesting read when googling:

On RPI2 with USB sound adapter, ES always reports VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements! · Issue #433 · Aloshi/EmulationStation · GitHub

Edited once, last by apanzzon (May 10, 2017 at 7:51 PM).

• The first thing it does is look at /var/run/xorg-configure.done and exit if it exists. Remove that file before running. When looking at a script you start at the top and read line by line. You don't need to be a programmer to figure out what it does.

I did not pay much attention to that line because of the odd comment on multi-cpu setups, but yes, the "then exit 0" should've caught my eye.

# HACK. we have xorg-configure@%. so nice race
    # can happen on multi-gpu setups
    if [ -e /var/run/xorg-configure.done ] ; then
    exit 0
    fi

Without xorg-configure.done, the script does its work (even though the lines logger is supposed to write still are not in the journal, is that normal?)

However, this begs the question as to why it exists in the first place. If /var is mounted as tmpfs, then that means that the script runs at every boot, somehow does nothing and creates xorg-configure.done and leaves me in this silly situation. In other words: How do I ensure that the script runs correctly?

• It's run by udev whenever an nvidia card is detected (so yes every boot), see /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/96-nvidia.rules.

It seems that it only fails sometimes, because it now works. udev *does* have a rule for it:

Code
    $ lspci -nn

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 730] [10de:1287] (rev a1)
    Code
    $ cat /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/96-nvidia.rules
    ATTRS{device}=="0x1287", GOTO="configure_nvidia"

But I can't say I have much experience with udev at all. Any ideas what could cause it to fail sometimes? specifically with this build? It never happened before.

• As I just said, I googled a lot... Gamestarter is only for RPi arch... there're not x86/64 addon solutions for kodi 17 >

So... I want to install this build as TAR update on my libreelec 8.0.1 (updated with TAR from Openelec 6.0.3), but I have a question: I have tvheadend server running on my libreelec system with an hauppage USB dual DVB-T tuner. Can you tell me if the update with your build compromises the funcionality of the tvheadend service / tuner device drivers ?

Thank you

If someone is looking for an addon solution like me without having to install a full fork distro of LibreElec, you can find a RetroArch working addon here: RetroArch Openelec addon download | SourceForge.net
    Tested right now on official LibreElec 8.0.1 on Intel NUC.

• Slurp

As long as it's being run, it should do exactly what it's supposed to do. You can follow the logic until you find where it goes wrong. What does /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf say when it's not working?

• New build 20170512:

Code
    - rebuilt with gcc performance fix from pr79665
    - updated kodi to latest krypton which brings back the "back" behaviour that was in jarvis (when going back from an addon you go straight to home)

• Slurp

As long as it's being run, it should do exactly what it's supposed to do. You can follow the logic until you find where it goes wrong. What does /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf say when it's not working?

It only has XORG_ARGS="-s 0 -noreset -allowMouseOpenFail" which to me would indicate that $1 is never passed to it, indicating that udev is to blame here. I mean the script does work fine it is run by hand.

• Slurp

I guess a workaround for you could be to put "rm /var/run/xorg-configure.done && /usr/lib/xorg/xorg-configure nvidia" in /storage/.config/autostart.sh to force it.

supernoob

On your way down to the emulators shortcut you should have scrolled past both Chrome and Spotify, how could you possibly have missed it? There is no instructions for OpenVPN, it's a CLI utility you can find documentation on their website. There are addons that lets you add client configurations from Kodi. The only difference with OpenVPN in my build is that it supports server operation.

nexusle

Works fine for me. Provide the zip from smb share \\libreelec\logfiles.

• I guess you are struck by the same nvidia issue as Slurp, see my workaround in the previous post. Perhaps an issue with the 4.11 patch for the nvidia driver.