Geniatech HDStar DVB-S2 support for Raspberry pi

• Hello,
    Is there any Geniatech HDStar DVB-S2 support for Raspberry pi ithink the Ver 3 have a problem i dont know but i am tried many things but with fail i saw that there is one success here but for another device so is there any chance to make this tuner works
    thanks

• it should be supported (also pls check our current alpha (7.90.009) )

if not pls dmesg | paste

Hello CvH,

I tried the 7.90.009 with Geniatech HDStar V3 , but not working. (still recognised as V1 or V2 I think)
    I want to know should I replace the ds3000.fw with ds300x.fw ? Cause I found the ds300X.fw md5 is match with V3 which listed by LinuxTV.

How to replace the firmware? The system is read only. I remember setup a folder and copy ds300x.fw into it ? I tried but still failed.

Could you please specify the detail steps ?

Thank you !

• I've received mine with the same issues.

this thread has some info Anyone Using Geniatech Hdstar DVB-S2 help with LED Status?

this is a silly question, but - when i install libreelec, i burn the img.gz to sd/usb
    what to do with .tar, as in the openelec link in that thread? - i'll be able to test if at least the adapter works or not and if it is software related by using that pre-built image.

i just tried the firmware copy/rename as above, with cvh 7.0.2, but hasn't worked
    [hr]

note - this is after swapping the .fw around

--

edited:
    i've updated to 7.9 - not sure if it rectifies the .fw i swapped earlier, but it does the same thing.
    I can see the signal bar sometimes go up and down.

on the ones I can see a signal, i get >

Code
    2016-12-21 01:31:52.565 linuxdvb: Montage Technology DS3000 : DVB-S #0 - poll TIMEOUT2016-12-21 01:31:53.443 linuxdvb: Montage Technology DS3000 : DVB-S #0 - retune nodata

here cvh commented OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - OE 6.95.3 with Geniatech HDSTAR V3 patch. (1/1)

Edited once, last by snailboy1 (December 21, 2016 at 3:56 PM).

• create an the folder in /storage/.config/firmware (or via network share) an place your fw there + reboot

Hello CvH,

I created an folder /storage/.config/firmware,place dvb-fe-ds300X.fw into it and renamed to dvb-fe-ds3000.fw , then reboot .

7.90.009 with Geniatech HDStar V3

dmesg | grep dvb
    [ 6.486861] dvb-usb: found a 'SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0' in warm state.
    [ 6.487597] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
    [ 6.494388] dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:af:78:68:3a:21
    [ 6.960669] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
    [ 6.960687] dvb-usb: SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0 successfully initialized and connected.
    [ 11.046515] ds3000_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3000.fw)...
    [ 12.139517] ds3000_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3000.fw)...

lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1f4d:3000 G-Tek Electronics Group
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Still no signal like before

Edited once, last by zramth (December 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM).

• Hi,

try this OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - OE 6.95.3 with Geniatech HDSTAR V3 patch. (1/1)

install openelec, then update with that one.

i'm scanning now - found no channels BUT i'm seeing good SNR etc when it tunes in. so something works better..

CvH, i just sent some beer tokens :D

if you PM me, i will send you one of these HDStar dvb-s2 v3 adapters for free if you have a satellite to test it on. or anyone else if theyhave the skills to make this work.

some info here >

External Content gist.github.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

LibreELEC afl intergrated with amilogic build but i don't have this particular hardware

Openelec build from the link i posted earlier, with apparent patch for v3 HDstar >

Edited once, last by snailboy1 (December 21, 2016 at 6:45 PM).

• Update:

AFL's patched version here LibreELEC

Works - i didn't realize my TX3 amlogic box was compatible. So the hardware is not completely dead..

just need on x86 and ARM (pi3) .. and not on beta builds. s905 none beta build would be a bonus too.

my offer to send one for free still stands if they can make it happen.

Edited once, last by snailboy1 (December 22, 2016 at 12:39 AM).

• Update:

AFL's patched version here LibreELEC

Works - i didn't realize my TX3 amlogic box was compatible. So the hardware is not completely dead..

just need on x86 and ARM (pi3) .. and not on beta builds. s905 none beta build would be a bonus too.

my offer to send one for free still stands if they can make it happen.

So does it work with raspberry pi 3
    [hr]

it should be supported (also pls check our current alpha (7.90.009) )

if not pls dmesg | paste

Still not working v3 need a spicial driver

Edited once, last by giga (January 2, 2017 at 11:59 PM).

• It should work with the Official LE 8.0 Beta1 and newer (if released).

tested with the LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.95.1 BETA
    but not working

if you don't mind you can tell me how to replace the driver on the img so i can do it myself
    thanks

• but not working

dmesg | paste

if you don't mind you can tell me how to replace the driver on the img so i can do it myself

there is nothing you can add, there is not patch or something we could include and i still haven't seen a dmesg so i completely out of options

Just wondering if this image can be uploaded again

official LE8 Beta1 has support for that (most likely), it uses the same driver as in the linked image

• Thanks CVH, i got the HDstar dvb s2 pulling in services and channels with this version of libreElec, for some reason when i tried it previously two days ago, it could not pull in / detect the dvb s2 tuner, but now all is ok with this download, i did change my sd card so maybe that was the issue ? now i have a picture showing etc, anyway now to set it up and configure the raspberry Pi 3 like i want it ..... Cheers once again............