[x86-64] EAC3 passthrough not available

• I have LE 12.0.1 (generic legacy) installed on my old Intel NUC D54250WYKH. It is connected to my AV receiver (Sony STR-DN1050).
    I can't get EAC3/dolby digital plus to work through passthrough. In the Kodi audio settings I can only choose DTS and AC3 compatible receiver. If I choose a HDMI out not in use I see there are more options for EAC3, TrueHD etc.

All DD+ videos are sent to the receiver as PCM 2.0 channel audio.
    If I choose 2.0 channels in Kodi and let Kodi transcode to AC3 I get 5.1 but what am I doing wrong or missing to be able to get real EAC3 passthrough?
    Any help is appreciated.

Setup: NUC <HDMI> STR DN1050 <HDMI> Samsung TV

Best regards

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • I did a test and installed win10 + kodi 21.1.0 + k-lite codec pack (not sure if that codec pack was needed tho) without changing anything at all with the setup and I was able to get eac3 passthrough to work without a hitch. This means there is nothing wrong with the hardware I guess.

I would very much prefer to use libreelec though since win10 feels so heavy compared to LE and due to some other small annoying things.
    I was thinking about trying Kodi forum support but since it actually works with Kodi on another OS I doubt they could help me.

Again, any help or tips would be much appreciated.

• Chances are you have an LSPCon chip to convert from DP to HDMI:

Code
    Oct 09 22:20:11.395806 LibreELEC-NUC kernel: input: HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card0/input5
    Oct 09 22:20:11.395877 LibreELEC-NUC kernel: input: HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card0/input6
    Oct 09 22:20:11.395905 LibreELEC-NUC kernel: input: HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card0/input7
    Code
    Connector 0 (77) HDMI-A-1 (connected)
    Connector 1 (85) DP-1 (disconnected)
    Connector 2 (92) HDMI-A-2 (disconnected)

Maybe Windows has the right driver for EAC3 over LSPCon, but LE doesn't.

Since you run Windows on the same machine, updating all drivers and BIOS/EFI should be easy. Sometimes a new graphics driver affects HDMI firmware, and that firmware might fix the EAC3 issue on LE.