Installing Tailscale via static binary

• Read online that it was possible to install Tailscale via static binary on LibreELEC; however, the tutorial assumed alot of general knowledge about the LibreELEC command system. I for one have zero experience outside the basics of the Raspi 5 OS hence why im here.

Ive followed the tutorial set by Tailscale, yet I'm still facing errors.

Tailscale Guide:

Setting up Tailscale with static binaries (unsupported) · Tailscale Docs
    Learn how to use static binaries to install Tailscale on unsupported Linux distributions.
    tailscale.com

###########################################
    Setting up Tailscale with static binaries (unsupported)

If you would like to try Tailscale on a Linux distribution we don't yet support, we offer statically-compiled binaries on a best-effort basis.

If you use these binaries, contact us so that we can consider adding official support for your distribution.

We offer static binaries for x86 and ARM CPUs, in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants.

1. Download the static binaries for your CPU architecture:
    2. Unpack the archive:

Code
      tar xvf tailscale_VERSION_ARCH.tgz
    3. Start tailscaled:

Code
      sudo tailscaled --state=tailscaled.state

If you want to configure systemd to run tailscaled automatically, a service configuration is available in the systemd/ subdirectory of the unpacked archive.

4. Connect your machine to your Tailscale network and authenticate in your browser:

Code
      sudo tailscale up
    5. You're connected! You can find your Tailscale IPv4 address by running:

Code
      tailscale ip -4

If the device you added is a server or remotely-accessed device, you may want to consider disabling key expiry to prevent the need to periodically re-authenticate.

###########################################
    What I've done so far,

Enabled Raspi Tools in the LibreELEC add-ons

wget https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.74.1_arm64.tgz

tar xvf tailscale_1.74.1_arm64.tgz

tailscaled --state=tailscaled.state

Error = -sh: tailscaled: not found

I tried
    ./tailscale_1.74.1_arm64/tailscaled

I proceed to get the error that tailscale has stoped.

What am I doing wrong/ can anyone help me get to my goal.
    Have in mind that I am somewhat new to this system and the raspi 5 as a whole

• Hello toby2106

Bellow is a copy and paste of my tailscale config file from: /storage/.config/system.d The top half of the tailscaled.service file is the system.d config for tailscale and the bottom half are notes to help remind me of how to setup tailscale.

Hope the file help you to set up and runing tailscale !

Reminder: use the command: ./tailscale set --exit-node-allow-lan-access=true

Before you set the exit node so you do not get lock out from ssh to your raspi.

Do a LibreELEC backup to be safe !!

Regards: peter

File name: tailscaled.service

• Interesting. I started work on a tailscale add-on about 18-months ago, but didn't get that far down the path of a working install to really make anything work. I might have to redo things as I use Tailscale more than plain WireGuard these days. Although, I'm so time-poor at the moment that I wouldn't hold breath on anything progressing :)