[SOLVED] LE12 HP EliteDesk G3 + Sony AVR - some speakers not working, audio passthrough options missing

• Hello,

Recently I migrated from some old Intel Celeron to HP EliteDesk G3 (so, staying faithful to Generic_x64).

Also, I recently upgraded to LE12.

I cannot pinpoint in what moment:

I lost audio passthrough settings (expert is enabled)

I lost sound from front left and back right speakers when playing music or videos (stereo upmix enabled).

So effectively Kodi has crippled my audio system, and I am not using half of my speakers...if I switch to other input then Kodi, all speakers work.

Machine has DisplayPort not HDMI, so I am using DP to HDMI cable to connect it to the AVR directly. TV is then connected to AVR. I feel this has been working before on this machine but with LE11.

what have i tried so far:

- Fiddle with audio setting and set it to random channels like 7.1. I can hear the previously non working (FL and BR) speakers working, but then others are not working.

- Reboot the machine with TV off, then kodi audio settings report hdmi0 on sony avr

- Reboot with TV on, then kodi reports LG TV on hdmi0 as audio output.

- getedid create, delete...

- toggle ARC on tv (on/off)

- toggle hdmi control and return audio via hdmi settings on AVR

Any thoughts on what could be the case?

• solved by replugging DisplayPort to other one (machine has 2 video outputs).

Obviously last time I was fiddling with the machine (unplugging it completely and opening the case) I connected it back to the video output that he doesn't like (possibly secondary) and since then I have had issues

everything back in order now and loving Libre Elec again :)

• This is actually not solved, it happened again after I switched the audio output to bluetooth and back to HDMI.

So now I have to go through the entire dance again, replug the HDMI, delete EDID and reboot

and this will happend everytime I switch to other audio output, so it seems I will have to give up on ocassionally using bluetooth speaker.

maybe its related to this nasty bluetooth bug I have

LE12 bluetooth errors - Bug Reports - LibreELEC Forum

• is 2.0 channels actually 5.1, and 5.1 is 3.1 ? what is 3.1 then? :)

If you select 2.0 audio output channels, other channels get encoded into those two. Your AVR can probably only handle this encoded version, not the dedicated channels.

• it was working for years with configuration 5.1 and all speakers were working...until yesterday

when I was watching movies with or without passthrough, I clearly had surround working properly (some sounds audible only on the rear speakers etc) but now with this downgrade I will probably have all sounds on all speakers.

OK for music, sucks for movies

EDIT: OK, I tested a movie with a passthrough audio, surround works correctly.

What is the point of kodi channel configuration then? It affects what exactly?

I think I can live with it, even though I don't understand why it suddenly stopped working, then got fixed by connecting to the second hdmi port of the pc, then got broken again by changing to bluetooth and back..

Edited once, last by vanja (August 11, 2024 at 10:19 PM).

• oops, it seems "stereo upmix" is the culprit.

I return the settings back to 5.1, front left and rear right are not playing music again, i disable stereo upmix, all speakers work

I'll mark it as solved again :)

EDIT: Though I still don't understand what the hell is going on, as per the description of "stereo upmix", he should be doing the exact opposite of what is doing to me. It should upmix stereo to all speakers from the channel configuration, but somehow it removes 2 speakers out of the game. With stereo upmix disabled, all 5.1 configured speakers work. In my system it seems the button to switch off stereo upmix actually switches on stereo upmix :)

• wow, amazing, that was my symptoms :)

Actual Behavior

Audio channels FL RR are silent.
    Multi channel audio files work as expected.
    Stereo upmix of stereo files could have the wrong channel mapping where two channels are now silent.

I still don't quite understand this:

Why is everything working fine with stereo upmix disabled? I still have the sound copied to the RR && RL && Center.

Shouldn't the behaviour without stereo upmix enabled be that you have just the stereo, FL && FR and maybe subwoofer?

What is the point of stereo upmix then?