Is it possible to put Libreelec on one of these tablets?

• I have three tablet devices. A Windows Surface with Windows 8.1 on, a Viglen Connect Tablet with Windows 10 on, and a Samsung Tablet A8.

I wanted to put Libre Elec on one of these devices and use it purely as a media streaming device with Kodi but I can't seem to be able to do it on any of them as they all seem pretty locked down (at least to my ability).

Can anyone offer advice on if it's possible and how to do it if it is?

• I don't have any of those devices so I'm guessing. The Samsung A8 is running Android so totally different CPU and, looking at the download page, I can't see a download for Android.

The Windows machines (I'm assuming intel cpus) may need putting into developer mode so that you can install third party software that isn't on the MS store. For W10 this link should show you how to get to developer mode

https://www.howtogeek.com/292914/what-is-developer-mode-in-windows-10/

You can try searching for something similar for W8.1 or better still upgrade to W10

• For the windows tablets you have to enter the firmware/BIOS settings and disable Secure Boot (if possible). Then booting the install stick may be working.

Hint: In this thread a Surface Go 2 is used, but there is no information how installed.

• I've seen past reports of Windows tablets running LibreELEC, but to run the Generic image they MUST be using Intel x86_64 CPUs. If the devices are using some kind of ARM SoC (and many do these days) we have no arm64 image.

• For the windows tablets you have to enter the firmware/BIOS settings and disable Secure Boot (if possible). Then booting the install stick may be working.

Hint: In this thread a Surface Go 2 is used, but there is no information how installed.

I managed to do that and checked secure boot was disabled but it still wouldn't boot from the USB I flashed Libreelec on, it just kept booting to Windows. Not sure if I did anything wrong. I'll take a look at that thread though.

• I've seen past reports of Windows tablets running LibreELEC, but to run the Generic image they MUST be using Intel x86_64 CPUs. If the devices are using some kind of ARM SoC (and many do these days) we have no arm64 image.

One tablet has an Intel Atom Processor Z3735G but not sure what the other one is off the top of my head.

• I managed to do that and checked secure boot was disabled but it still wouldn't boot from the USB I flashed Libreelec on, it just kept booting to Windows. Not sure if I did anything wrong. I'll take a look at that thread though.

Wild guessing: check if there are any USB (boot) options, disabling "fast boot" may be useful too.

• Wild guessing: check if there are any USB (boot) options

If the tablets are just booting into Windows I doubt it. I have a vague memory (probably wrong) that you only get multi-boot if in developer mode.

bm93

However, as a slightly heretical thought, if the Windows tablets are running OK under Windows can you not simply install Kodi on one of them. Not as good as running under LibreElec but might give you what you want.