LE 12 Playback stuttering

• Looks like you are playing the file from a smb share?

To rule out a network issue, can you try playing the same file locally?

(e.g. copy it to sdcard or a usb drive and see if plays smoothly from there).

• Thank you for the fast reply. I tried playing the file local (from usb), what in fact didn't stutter as opposed to the network (a logfile with first playing locally then over network ist here: https://paste.libreelec.tv/daring-killdeer.log)

BUT: I am firmly convinced, that the reason isnt't the network but libreelec. The fileserver is running an SSD-raid 5-array, connected to the rest of the network using dual 10G SFP and is reliably able to handle loads in magnitudes very different from streaming some mkv (which by the way is only 1080p). In the house there are six other Kodi installations (on Windows and Android) functioning flawlessly on the same network. I tried connecting other devices to the switch port libreelec was on: Kodi on Windows and Android was no problem, and file transfer using Windows SMB is stable at near-perfect 1G/s (which is the limit of the laptop.

So alltogether I agree that it is a networking problem, but it seems to be caused by libreelec. Any ideas?

• Could be a DRM Prime buffering issue:

Code
    2024-07-18 17:29:55.961 T:1120    debug <general>: CDVDVideoCodecDRMPRIME::Reset - flush buffers
    2024-07-18 17:29:55.967 T:1121    debug <general>: CDVDAudio::Pause - pausing audio stream

You can try to disable DRM Prime, but that might disable HDR, too:

chewitt
    June 9, 2024 at 2:19 PM
  • So alltogether I agree that it is a networking problem, but it seems to be caused by libreelec. Any ideas?

Start with the basics. run iperf (or iperf3) on your smb server. Run iperf/iperf3 on libreelec pi.

Check the speed.

iperf is in the Network Tools addon.

• One of the few SMB client changes in LE12 (in Kodi 21) is SMB chunk size. This is now configurable in Settings > Services. Perhaps have a fiddle with those settings to see if they improve (or worsen) the issue?

• Thank you all for your input! After trying nearly everything and going half crazy about the problem beeing randomly present or not, I finally found the culprit: a loosened rj45 connector... (probably because someone slammed a wardrobe against it). Crimped a new one and everything is back to normal.