Hardware recommendation for playing HDR10+ / DolbyVision / 10-bit HEVC

• Hi,

I want to upgrade my Intel J1900 fanless mini-PC for something that is able to play HDR10+ / Dolby Vision / 10-bit HEVC in Full HD and is future proof to play in 4K. I'm playing local files (NAS with Samba or flash disk) as well as Netflix.

Looking through the forum most of the hardware recommendations are for RaspberryPi 5. Instead, I would prefer a device that doesn't use an SD card for storage - I have a lot of bad experience with RPi SD card corruption due to short power outages.

Is there something similar to my fanless Intel J1900 mini-PC with full HDMI but newer?

I was even thinking of buying just an Android TV (e.g. Xiaomi TV A 50, Xiaomi TV A2) - would that work?

Thank you!

• As Linux does not support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, your choicees for Kodi are an AppleTV or an nVidia Shield, and further discussion is best done in the Kodi forums as neither of those devices are supported here.

As Linux does not support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision

What does this statement mean exactly, please? Will it play but just without HDR10+?

I have an old TV. The only thing I'm trying to achieve is that I'm able to play local files. Currently, most of the local files (e.g. 10-bit HEVC) show artefacts on display.

I can see the newest nVidia Shield is from 2019. Is there something similar that is newer?

• Dolby Vision needs a payed license per device. Our supported devices don't have such licenses.

I can see the newest nVidia Shield is from 2019. Is there something similar that is newer?

Maybe they will release a new Shield this year /shrug. Amazon Fire TV has some newer iterations.

Dolby Vision needs a payed license per device.

Ah! I'm sorry I don't know these standards.

In that case what fanless device would you recommend in general for playing local Full HD / 4K videos besides RPi5 and nVidia Shield? (NAS with Samba or flash disk)

Intel N100 processorbased motherboards will play x265 4k HDR and they are really snappy.

Thank you! That looks good!

What about comparison to some Android 12 device like Homatics Box R Plus 4K? Will x265 in 4K work there?

• Thank you! That looks good!

What about comparison to some Android 12 device like Homatics Box R Plus 4K? Will x265 in 4K work there?

Only androidbased device i have is a Shield 2019 Pro which i only use for Dolby Vision (and a Banana Pi M5 with CoreELEC that i hardly use at all).

Most of my hevc 4k HDR-files are played on several Pi4/5 over my network from NAS and Windows PC.