Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Yes, the full core package is the one from latest Lakka build.

are you using provided categories.xml file? did you try the roms you are trying to launch with AEL with RetroArch? do they work?

Also, before first time launch with AEL it is recommended to launch retroarch addon one time to set up and permissions.

• are you using provided categories.xml file? did you try the roms you are trying to launch with AEL with RetroArch? do they work?

Also, before first time launch with AEL it is recommended to launch retroarch addon one time to set up and permissions.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did move the /storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/categories.xml to /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/ if that is what you mean?

I'm not familiar with RetroArch and have not tested this yet. I will try during the weekend and give you a feedback.

• I am trying to access the files on my RPi3 from my windows computer but am finding that the /Configfiles/emulationstation and the /Configfiles/retroarch/game.retroarch directories are not accessible?

Is this normal?

• I am trying to access the files on my RPi3 from my windows computer but am finding that the /Configfiles/emulationstation and the /Configfiles/retroarch/game.retroarch directories are not accessible?

Is this normal?

They are located in Userdata>addon_data>game.retroarch/game.emulationstation. The ones you are trying to access are symlinks and they dont work in windows.

• Ok found them.

In the es_settings.cfg file I found this

name="ConfigDirectory" value="/storage/.config/emulationstation"

Is this correct then?

Currently things are not working for me is why I am asking.

At one point Emulationstation worked, but wouldn't launch retroarch and start the game.

It would only blank the screen and kick me back to Emulationstation.

• Yes, the full core package is the one from latest Lakka build.

are you using provided categories.xml file? did you try the roms you are trying to launch with AEL with RetroArch? do they work?

After I configured RetroArch and tested the games there, everything worked smoothly in Advanced Emulation Station. Thank you for the guidance!

When I press Start + Select on the controller inside one of the games, the RetroArch menu pops up. Is there any easy way to change this so that Kodi is started directly instead?

• Yes, the path is ok, thats why addon created a symlink.

If you launch retroarch addon, does it work? Can you launch the same rom you are trying to launch with emulationstation?

We need to take a look to retroarch logs

When I press Start + Select on the controller inside one of the games, the RetroArch menu pops up. Is there any easy way to change this so that Kodi is started directly instead?

You can change that combo to enter retroarch menu in settings, also, you can define hotkeys to exit retroarch/roms so kodi restarts. You have to dive into retroarch's input menu options.

• Neither will launch. Retroarch has a lot of Black boxes for each menu item.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and didn't fix.

Retroarch doesn't find the roms even though I see the directory tree.

Will try and find the Retroarch logs.

• Neither will launch. Retroarch has a lot of Black boxes for each menu item.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and didn't fix.

Retroarch doesn't find the roms even though I see the directory tree.

Will try and find the Retroarch logs.

One silly question. Did you download the core you are trying to use before trying to use it?

• Will this addon be supported when Kodi 18 (Leia) is released? How will it differ from the inbuilt retro player?

The idea is to keep on using/updating these addons with LibreELEC 9.

About Retroplayer subject, when LibreELEC 9 will be releases we need to take a look to final retroplayer status, by now, at least in Raspberries, using retroarch have better performance since kodi is stopped. Also using retroarch you can use/toggle/config a lot of options and settings that by the moment are not available in retroplayer.

Retroplayer will have no library integration in LibreELEC 9 as developer said so you will need extra addon as a frontend if you want your game collections as a library. You can use retroarch as a frontend with artworks and game lists. Better option is to use Emulationstation, one of the most used frontends for emulation. Or you can use AEL addon that is the best way to integrate your game library in kodi.

Finally, retroarch addon is actually working with LibreELEC 9 testbuilds and you can use downloaded cores from retroplayer with it.

On the other hand, in LE9 testbuilds dualshock gamepads have stop working properly and there is no solution at tshi moment so we have to wait until LE 9 beta releases to see how it is going.

• RetroArch in LE9 test builds for RPi needs additional library you can download from here: retroarch-LE9alpha-lib.7z

Then paste unzipped lib folder into game.retroarch folder.

You need to do this everytime you update RetroArch add-on.

By the way, what controller are you using? Because both Dualschok 3 and Dualshock 4 have a very strange behavior in these builds, they are assigned twice so you can not use them in retroarch... It is an issue reported in test builds thread but no one said a word about a possible solution...

Hi, I have the same problem. Downloading and adding the lib to /.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib does not work.

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib # ls -l
    total 215
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        219978 Sep  8 15:40 libass.so.5
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib # cd ..
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch # ./game.retroarch-RPi
    ./game.retroarch-RPi: error while loading shared libraries: libass.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Addon is missing in LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /usr/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.beautifulsoup4/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.googleapi/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.html2text/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.httplib2/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.oauth2client/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.requests/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.six/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.uritemplate/lib:/storage/.kodi/addons/script.module.yaml/lib:/usr/lib/pulseaudio

Edited once, last by gixxpunk (September 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM).

• Hi, I have the same problem. Downloading and adding the lib to /.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib does not work.

With LE 9 testbuild from 0909 & Retroarch addon 8.167.3 , I copy lib folder (with libass.so.5 inside) to /storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch using Kodi's file explorer. Then I reboot, launch retroach addon and it works.

Any reason why Mario kart 64 (N64) the left and right controls dont work?

No idea. Did you take a look in retroarch's core input options? in other games does it work ok?

• Yesi checked the input. It's weird the d pad works fine for the screens where you select your character and race etc but as soon as the race starts the left and right don't... I got two different ROMs of the game, same effect.

Other games no problem (though this is my only n64 game, others are NES , SNES and megadrive and they are perfect)