HDMI Audio too fast before silence

• Hey everyone,

In my attempt to bring new life to an old device, I tried installing libreelec on my old Medion akoya E1312.

I tried with the LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0.0.img.gz for now, which runs without problems except for a HDMI audio problem. Like I mentioned in the caption, if I select the alsa hda ati HDMI source, the playing title is so fast and pitched up, and after barely a second, it returns to silence. Even the sounds of the GUI are there, but in a speed-up way too.

After various attempts at fixing it, I am often limited by the Libreelec system it selve.

So, my question: is there a way to adjust the audio sample rate?

Or is there an older image version that fits better?

Or something totally different?

I know I am not the only one who is struggling with the amd sempton 210u and the built-in Ati RS 690.

And before asking, I have no option in expert mode to adjust the sample rate in the GUI. The alsa.conf simply doesn't exist, and PulseAudio is not really used (kind of irrelevant, too. I mean, it says Alsa in the GUI selection. The only thing for pulse seems to be BT audio.). The headphone jack and the built-in speaker are fine, btw.

I tried to install kodi by running it over Debian first. I had the same issue with HDMI audio and many more.

So, any ideas on this?

• Go to Best Answer
  • Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Code
    Jun 17 15:27:10.460247 kodi pulseaudio[395]: E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
    Code
    un 17 15:27:10.369745 kodi kernel: rtl8192se: Driver for Realtek RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE
                                        Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
    Code
    Jun 17 15:27:09.289184 kodi pulseaudio[395]: W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
    Jun 17 15:27:09.300051 kodi pulseaudio[395]: W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/var/run/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
    Jun 17 15:27:09.300051 kodi pulseaudio[395]: W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
    Jun 17 15:27:09.300051 kodi pulseaudio[395]: W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
    Jun 17 15:27:09.458508 kodi Xorg[501]: creating needed directories and symlinks for driver: radeon

I also think some of them look a bit odd, especially the last one.

I tested local data. And there it dont stops it just plays exacly 10 times faster than it should be.

• Code
    If you are asked for a log - assume the request is for a debug log and for the entire log file, not just the small snippet you think is useful (often we need to see and understand the configuration too).

^ Quoting from the wiki article that you didn't read, resulting in a series of log snippets that tell us nothing.

Try again..

• Probably not enough processing power for Full HD:

https://www.chip.de/test/Medion-ak…_139958389.html

Try HD Ready.

Already tested with different resolutions down to 480p. no impact on sound problem. But why should the lack of power drive it to run audio over hdmi much faster than over buildin speakers and headphone jack (audio is totaly fine there. even if video is displayed over hdmi in full hd)

Tested it with fixed audio sample rate which makes it at lowest slightly better but already not how it should be.

• BIOS updates are always a good thing but updating some ancient old laptop to be a marginally less ancient old laptop probably doesn't achieve anything.

Have you tried setting the whitelist to 1080@60 and enabling 3:2 pulldown in video settings? .. It might need advanced or expert mode enabling to see all the options.

I'd also see if things are different on a newer TV that has more display modes. This looks like an old HD-Ready set which only has one weird 1080p mode available. Or perhaps try the VGA output.

• so i have my setting since i installed libreelec in expert mode and tried the various combinations. as long it ist in the gui setting i probably did it.

I tested whitelisting the setting you recomended to with impact on the problem. Testet different hdmi cables on different tv's too.

And i dont see why testing with vga should fix my problem because vga only supports video signals and no audio.

My problem ist not the hdmi video signal. That is totaly fine. Its just the speed up audio with is transmitted over the hdmi port.

install new drives i dont tryed to this point. but simply because i dont know how because libreelec is totaly different to distros i know.

is that the right instructions for installing new drivers? https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/add-firmware or is there a better fitting one i dont know?

to that driver point ofte i saw that the system uses snd_hda_intel which is weard to me because i dont have any intel hardware. but the systemversion i used should be for amd and intel. so maybe wrong system default config which could be fixed by installing right drivers?

i tryed to adjust the sample rate in the alsa.conf but that didnt work because its in a read only file system which i can not change to writable. i know kind of a dirty fix but if it works....

• install new drives i dont tryed to this point. but simply because i dont know how because libreelec is totaly different to distros i know.

is that the right instructions for installing new drivers? https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/add-firmware or is there a better fitting one i dont know?

You need Windows to update the firmware. You can create a portable Windows USB stick, or install it beside LE (use GParted to create necessary partitions).

Warning: This procedure will take hours. Editing partitions requires care.

However, we already had a couple of users here, who fixed their HDMI problems by such firmware updates.

• So after trying what was suggested, still no problem appears.

After playing around a bit in the user interface, I tried the "Turn off other monitors/displays" option and voilà, it works perfectly.

So luckily a happy ending