Rpi4 + Samsung TV - No HDMI-CEC since 11.0.5/6?

• Hi all,

Now I wish I could be more accurate in when this occurred exactly and what version I was running at the time, but it seems I can no longer get HDMI CEC to work between my Pi4 and Samsung K5500 in the bedroom. I know this used to work and im fairly sure it was on 11.0.5, but Ive had so much going on with buying house and decorating etc... I just can't remember... So theres every chance this wasn't working in 11.0.5 either.

I am using HDMI 1, closest to power. Have tried 2 different cables and all the ports on the TV. Anynet HDMI CEC is enabled, I have power cycled everything, reset TV to factory etc...

Just updated the Pi to LE12 and still no HDMI-CEC.

Short of me flashing a new card and trying LE from default, is this a known issue or is there anyone out there that is experiencing the same?

• Hi tomstephens89 ,

some questions…

• Are you using a case for your RPi4?
    • Do you have tried also another micro HDMI to HDMI adapter, if you use one?
    • This could be ambiguous: HDMI 1 of „HDMI 0 + HDMI 1“ or „HDMI 1 + HDMI 2“ ?
    • Perhaps you can provide a debug log?
  • Hi tomstephens89 ,

some questions…

• Are you using a case for your RPi4?
    • Do you have tried also another micro HDMI to HDMI adapter, if you use one?
    • This could be ambiguous: HDMI 1 of „HDMI 0 + HDMI 1“ or „HDMI 1 + HDMI 2“ ?
    • Perhaps you can provide a debug log?

Yes I use a case. FLIRC.

Yes I’ve tried other cables and adapters.

Yes I’ve tried different ports.

I can provide a debug if needed.

As I said, this was working, but since either 11.0.5 or maybe 6 it has stopped.

• The usual rememdy for CEC issues that make no sense is:

a) Unplug everything

b) Turn everything off

c) Go make tea/coffee .. something that takes 10 mins

d) Reconnect everything

e) Turn it all back on again

It too makes no sense, but has a surprising success rate /shrug

• If chewitt serious recommendation don‘t ends in a success, you can stop KODI and afterwards check CEC directly.

• stop KODI
      systemctl stop kodi
    • scan CEC bus
      echo 'scan' | cec-client -s -d 1

Because I have seen, that you also tested something regarding the 4K/60 issue in combination with your Denon AVR: Maybe you have a outdated copy of EDID data locally?

• Ive also just run getedid delete and getedid create.

Currently leaving everything powered off and unplugged for 10 minutes.

• So the output looks that CEC is working at hardware and driver level. You can test some CEC commands to switch your connected TV On/Standby/Off like described here: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberrypi-hdmi-cec/

To test if your TV passthrough the remote control keys to the RPi, simple start cec-client without any switches and look for key_press events. If that works, you only have some issues with your KODI installation/settings. That kind of issues can isolated with debug logging enabled and additional components logging is enabled for libCEC.

• Ok, it responds to on and standby commands from the console cec-client. But nothing when I issue volup or voldown.

Im not concerned with controlling the Pi with the TV remote, I just want to be able to control the volume from the USB remote I use with the Pi like I usually do.

• As far as I know:

• The volume control depends on the libCEC Adapter settings at "Settings->Input->Peripherals->CEC adapter".
      The corresponding settings file is there: /storage/.kodi/userdata/peripheral_data/cec_CEC_Adapter.xml
    • The internal volume control is disabled, if you set the audio to passthrough. But passthrough could be disabled from backside if "Sync playback to display" is active. Don't know if such settings influences the CEC volume control too.
    • The most use case for CEC is to steering with the TV remote control the downstream devices. Also the volume control of AVR / soundbar works like that. The way to control the TV volume seems not supported in all cases. But you could check to ensure that your TV supports that:
      echo 'volup 0.0.0.0' | cec-client -s -d 1
      echo 'voldown 0.0.0.0' | cec-client -s -d 1

Edited 2 times, last by HarryH (June 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM).