Official LE13 Test Images for Amlogic (Kodi-22)

  • I pushed a set of updated images to my test share. Kernel is 7.3-rc5 and Kodi is v22-rc1.

    Known issues are limited to:

    - GXBB support for HEVC/H264 is capped at 1080p pending further research into HDMI stability at 4K

    - GXBB/GXL/GXM have multi-threaded bwdif software deinterlacing (still a nice improvement on bob)

    - MPEG1, MPEG4 and VC1 are software decoded until we author the kernel UAPI(s) to implement around

    Otherwise all the important stuff: H264/MPEG2/HEVC and VP9 and 10-bit/HDR where hardware supports it, and pass-through audio, are working on GXBB, GXL, GXM, G12A, G12B, and SM1 hardware. If you find media that refuses to play, or glitches/crashes during playback, we'd like a sample file to investigate.

    Image name changed from "AMLGX" to "Amlogic" so do touch /storage/.update/.nocompat before rebooting.

    Enjoy :)

  • This works much better than the latest nightly, thanks!

    H.264 and HEVC playback and seeking work fine on both my Odroid N2+ and C2. Even the audio is not broken anymore.

    Only thing I noticed is a popping noise on the analog output of the N2+ whenever playback is started or stopped. HDMI seems fine though.

    Would you mind telling me which source tree you used for building this image? It looks different to what I could produce from both git master and your own github repo...

  • You need to combine kernel with ffmpeg and alsa and firmware changes; it’s all tightly aligned. It’s all in my GitHub account, and the LE repo; I pushed changes to master last night.

  • Ok, thanks, I can produce a working build by myself now.

    I did some further testing: Some h264 and also some hevc video files produce green "garbage" on screen when playback is started. This garbage disappears when the next keyframe is seen.

    I have a small sample video file uploaded here: https://filebin.net/6gkcb0hab2ra0cox/test2.mkv and a kodi.log when trying to playback that file.

    Also a MPEG2/1080i sample file from https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples plays back incorrectly (too fast at first, then choppy).

  • chewitt

    Thank you for reviving my Wetek Play 2 with full DVB-T2 support, it works even better than the vendor kernel used by CoreELEC used to work. Very cool :) And nice to be back on LibreELEC finally.

    I could not really read from the forum whether DVB support is limited to a specific set of devices like the Wetek Play 2 or if more DVB boxes work (for example in my case the MECOOL KII Pro with triple tuner, which also got ditched from coreelec).

    Would that work on that box also?

  • ashi At the moment the demux driver is an ugly port of even uglier Amlogic vendor code with support limited to the ~3 devices that myself and rozpruwacz have (and I have WP2 with DVB-S/DVB-T modules). Some work on a clean rewrite of the driver has started, but needs to be revived and moved forwards. The goal is to make all the drivers modular so technical implementations of demod/tuner/demux can described entirely within device-tree without relying on a single/monolithic driver with baked-in known combos of chips, which is how the vendor kernel works-ish. It's probably not a quick task happening in the next few weeks.

    For the sake of asking, what chips are in the Mecool box and can you point me at a device-tree file?

  • chewitt

    meson-gxl-s905d-mecool-kii-pro-dvb.dts

    It is a DVB-T2/S2/C device

    Demod: avl6862
    Tuner: Rafael R912

    I found r912.c/r912.h in media_tree_aml , thats probably the biggest missing part for mainline.

  • I've pushed updated 'Amlogic' images to my test share. The notable change is initial LE support for the Khadas VIM1S board which uses the S4 (S905Y4) chipset. This required a whole heap 'o new tricks to be learned. It currently has the same capabilities as a G12 or SM1 board as we didn't start work on AV1 decoding yet, and the LE boot splash won't show until further work on u-boot video output gets completed. Aside from that it's a usable image though.

    Minor kernel and Kodi bumps are also included but nothing that should be noticeable. No other changes (hopefully not regressions) as the last week was entirely spent on S4 bring-up :)

  • ashi At the moment the demux driver is an ugly port of even uglier Amlogic vendor code with support limited to the ~3 devices that myself and rozpruwacz have (and I have WP2 with DVB-S/DVB-T modules). Some work on a clean rewrite of the driver has started, but needs to be revived and moved forwards. The goal is to make all the drivers modular so technical implementations of demod/tuner/demux can described entirely within device-tree without relying on a single/monolithic driver with baked-in known combos of chips, which is how the vendor kernel works-ish. It's probably not a quick task happening in the next few weeks.

    For the sake of asking, what chips are in the Mecool box and can you point me at a device-tree file?

    chewitt

    Thanks again for pointing that out. I looked at the code and I understand how the tuner/demod combination selection works in meson-demux/aml_dvb.c and after importing r912 into the kernel tree. my plan was to do somthing like

    Well... it turned out that I was unable to find out how I should initialize the structures, how to find out which i2c address I need, GPIOS, clocks, etc etc.

    dts and code from coreelec/crazycat drivers/amlogic vendor kernel, patches etc did not help me much. It is a crazy maze of layers and in the end I gave up finding the parameters that are needed to wire that up.