9.2.8 S922X to try 3D

• Hello and hope all is well.

Sorry if this is not allowed as I am new here.

Is it possible to get 9.2.8 S922X for a beelink gs king x to see if 3D works.

I tried the coreelec version from 2020 & it works but so buggy & unstable so I am asking here.

Many thanks.

• Thanks. So no 3D on S922X. what's my best option, Pi4 or a Pi3 for definite 3D MVC?

Both RPi will work, but to be future-proof, we suggest RPi4.

• RPi3B+ on LE9.2.8 is the best (and final) RPi to support 3D things. RPi switched to the GBM display pipeline from LE10 onwards and the RPi4/5 have never supported 3D matters. It remains something that could technically be added and it's the RPi devs long list of rainy-day tasks, but I have low expectations it'll ever show. NB: I believe OSMC still support it with their devices, so that could be an option too. Best to check first by asking in their forum though.

• I'm not 100% sure whether the newer display hardware in RPi4 boards supports 3D either. I do know 100% that the original (dated) RPi4 boot firmware in the LE 9.2.8 image will not boot newer iterations of RPi4 hardware, although that's fixable if you manually update the firmware files in the root folder of the SD card to current ones.

NB: I have no interest in the Amlogic 4.9 kernel and have no patches of any kind for it, so you're on your own with that quest. I'll give you the heads up that once you start changing Amlogic BSP kernel versions you will need to re-hack Kodi and pile of other dependencies to align with the new kernel. In short, any assumptions you are making on interchangability are most defiinitely wrong, and a world of version and dependency pain awaits you. Good luck, and please don't post here looking for guidance on that direction.

• xmlcom If you start a new thread at Development sub-forum, then LE admins could invite other 3D users. So please do some research, and let us know if you see a chance. It's definitely not an easy project.

We have an Amlogic pro in our LE support team. Here is what he said:

I wouldn’t implement it on AMlogic

We spent serious time and money getting it to work to find out there are VLSI level bugs that cause macro blocking on some titles. Only solution is remux or live with it. These are straight BD rips. AML acquired the 3D IP block without any understanding of it and this is visible in their code.

I just about broke even on it, but fortunately got two goods devs in the process.

So I would suggest RPi as target platform.

• Thanks Da Flex, I will endeavour in to see if other platform i.e coreele can help before giving up on my s922x. If not then a Pi3/4 will need to be purchased as I love 3D too much to give up on it. Thanks once again much appreciated buddy.

• CE have been trying to make 3D work properly for years (copying the same OSMC patches). If you're one of those people who thinks in code; good luck with the endeavour. If you're not (and people who show up here looking for patches usualy aren't) I'd skip ahead to the bit where you get a cheap RPi3 (not RPi4) and waste time watching movies instead :)

• The "dev" in question here is Sam from OSMC (so he's no stranger to his own patches). Sam would like 3D to work on RPi hardware again, but that development is something for RPi devs to handle. It's already a task in their to-do list. The challenge is that it's a very low priority in the list, the list is a long one, and there's a continuous drip-feed of higher priority items being added to it.

• The "dev" in question here is Sam from OSMC (so he's no stranger to his own patches). Sam would like 3D to work on RPi hardware again, but that development is something for RPi devs to handle. It's already a task in their to-do list. The challenge is that it's a very low priority in the list, the list is a long one, and there's a continuous drip-feed of higher priority items being added to it.

Thanks chewitt , will wait and keep an eye, for now will source a cheap RPI3 for the meantime. Thanks once again.