LibreELEC 12: no "STORAGE" partition available, when SD Card mounted on Mac

• I love to mount the Raspi 4's LibreELEC SD Card on my Mac - so I can access the backup-folder etc.

But now, after installing LibreELEC 12 via Raspberry Pi Imager (SD Card, or USB-Stick), after initial install on the Raspi 4 (LE12 works great by the way), when mounting the SD Card or USB-Stick on MacOS again, the "STORAGE" partition does not show up anymore. Only the "LIBREELEC" Partition appears. The other partition is extfs4 (as always) but "unsupported"?

Same SD and USB with LibreELEC 11 show both partitions after install when mounted on Mac.

I am able to replicate the issue, so I thought I'd post it here, sorry no logs for this.

• Go to Best Answer
  • There is something odd about your LE11 card because here (on macOS sonoma) the /storage partition is not mountable on an LE11 card; same as LE12 and any previous LE version that I can recall (back to OE days). macOS has never supported EXT4 filesystems.

• There is something odd about your LE11 card because here (on macOS sonoma) the /storage partition is not mountable on an LE11 card; same as LE12 and any previous LE version that I can recall (back to OE days). macOS has never supported EXT4 filesystems.

Hmm. Ok so it must be that because I use „extfs for mac“ software. And until LE12 this made (both) partitions visible. Now only one of them.

Guess I will have to start using Linux for tinkering with LE.

• I'm not familiar with MACs or "extfs for mac" but I'd guess you need an updated version of extfs for mac that can cope with the new ext4 options used by current ext4fs tools (mkfs.ext4 etc).

Older linux systems have similar issues and some linux distributions disabled the new options to make filesystems compatible with older linux versions, but we don't do that in LE.

so long,

Hias