LE 11.0.6 Amlogic S905X problem with audio

• Hello.
    Thanks in advance for supporting old ARM boxes!
    I installed LE 11.0.6 (meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb) on my old X96 box (ARM S905X). Everything works fine, but I have a problem with the sound. The SPDIF output does not work at all, the external audio out has a very weak sound. HDMI audio is fine. The audio settings show - audio output device - ALSA: S905X-P212.
    I tried to install LE 9.2.8 (gxl_p212_1g.dtb), the sound works correctly there. Everything works, HDMI, external audio out and SPDIF. In the settings there is - audio output device - ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO.
    Is it possible to solve this problem somehow?

Thank you Popmar

• Lots of Android boxes have S/PDIF output but I'm told the real Amlogic p212 reference board does not have that; and the upstream p212 device-tree file that you're using correctly describes the reference board. Maintainers are not keen on me adding S/PDIF to the reference board or creating a pseudo "p212-spdif" board, so the workaround will be to upstream a real p212 box which is verifiable and has S/PDIF outputs. The OSMC Vero4 might suit that purpose.

NB: Using old driver code is basically impossible as there's practically zero code in-common between the legacy vendor kernel and the modern/upstream kernel codebase.

• .. so I'm so sorry, but I don't really understand it at all :) I thought that if it works with LE 9.x.x, it will also work with LE 11. That it's actually the same, just a different version of Kodi ... I guess it won't be that easy, will it? I'm sorry, because Kodi Nexus on the old box is great, but without a digital or at least analog output, it's unusable for me...
    thanks pop

• Kodi dropped support for "amcodec" decoding several years ago and that makes it impossible to use the Amlogic legacy kernels. AMLGX (LE12) is using a modern Linux 6.7 kernel; support is a little experimental in places and things are not perfect, but it's usable and avoids the need to purchase a new box for some users.

The box will work, but it needs a device-tree file that describes S/PDIF hardware. I'll have a look at that..