MariaDB add-on for non Libreelec instance

• Hi people,

I have been using LibreELEC across my home with 3 Raspberry Pi's and an HTPC.

I have a "server" where I store all the movies, tv shows and music .... running Fedora.

I use the MariaDB addon on the HTPC (pointed at the "server") to keep track of the watched state etc. and it works well. The HTPC also includes a TV-in card for over the air TV.

The HTPC is reaching the end of its life, slow and struggling with video decodes at times.

I have built a Raspberry Pi 4 to replace the HTPC but this needs a separate/new TV-in solution with a USB TV-in. This requires that I build the driver ... I can't do this in LiberELEC and so installed Raspberry Pi OS (Raspian).

I know I can setup mysql or mariadb (used to use MySql on the HTPC until LibreELEC introduced the mariadb addon) - the mariadb addon is soooo much easier to use BUT doesn't exist as I don't have the LibreELEC addons repository obviously. Using the addon would also simplify the transition and I can just port the databases from HTPC to new Pi 4.

Is there a way to get just the mariadb addon or add LibreELEC repository? I understand that this will NOT be supported as the LibreELEC respoitory and addons are targetted for LibreELEC and NOT Raspian.

Any pointers etc. would be great as I am going blind keep googling.

Duncan

• Trying to run the LE repo will create as many problems as it solves. I wouldn't go there :)

Just install MariaDB on the RPi4 running RaspiOS and follow the HOWTO in the Kodi wiki for setting up a new DB. Most of the well known SQL tools are php based (adminer/phpmysqladmin) and thus require you to have a webserver somewhere to use them, but there are other tools like SquirrelSQL (which is Java based IIRC) that should run anywhere and give you a GUI to help with dumping the existing DB content and importing it to a new DB instance.

NB: In addition to moving the SQL DB content; if you change the paths to the sources (e.g. change SMB server name) you will also need to update paths in the DB else clients will be able to see everything in the DB but nothing will play (as the /path/to/files will be wrong). If things will change and that all sounds too complicated; just setup new sources, new DB, and rescrape. As long as the media is well structured/named everything will rescrape easily and fairly quickly (current python scrapers are much faster than older xml ones from a few years ago) so it's not the worst suggestion.