RPI4 - Constant freezing/crashing after upgrade from LE 11.0.1 to 11.0.6

• Hello,

I had been using LE 11.0.1 on my Raspberry Pi 4 for quite a while now and it had been working fine for the most part. Then I recently noticed that there were newer, minor versions of LE out there, and for some reason, my system hadn't been automatically grabbing them despite having the auto-update feature enabled. So I set about manually performing the update by downloading 11.0.6 and following via the upgrade instructions given on the wiki. Everything about the upgrade itself worked successfully and there were no errors in the process.

However, since that upgrade my system has been very unstable. It's been about a week and I'm experiencing multiple crashes / freezes with each use, making the system nearly unusable. The main issue comes when attempting to play a video. On any attempt, there appears to be a 50% chance the whole system will lock up and become unresponsive, requiring a hard reboot. (In the other 50% of times, the video will play fine, but probably the next video will fail.) I have had this happen when playing a video via the Youtube add-on, the Hulu add-on and also when playing a video file from my mounted NAS drive. So it seems like it's happening really for any kind of video. I'll also note that when this happens, the system is sometimes still responsive via SSH and sometimes not. But I've taken to power cycling to reboot.

As a secondary (maybe related?) issue, the system has also suddenly crashed and rebooted itself three times this week when not performing any particular action (such as trying to play a video). This had rarely happened before on 11.0.1.

So it appears to me that something went wrong during the upgrade process that is leading to these problems. I would happily downgrade, but I can't find older, minor versions available on the website and I thought I had read that downgrading isn't really supported anyway (despite the wiki mentioning that it is). So I figured that I would reach out for support first and see if I can get this resolved without trying to go down that path.

Here is a recent crash log file. I believe this should actually contain both a lock up/freeze from attempting to play a video, and also one of the more random crashes described above: https://paste.libreelec.tv/bursting-ferret.log

Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide or steps I could take to try and debug further.

Thanks!

• You're still at log level 0. Use log level 1 or 2.

Code
    2024-02-07 21:25:10.143 T:841      info <general>: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
  • Okay,

Sorry about that. I enabled the debug settings and then triggered another crash. See here for the kodi.log: https://paste.kodi.tv/avenapepiw

In this case, I tried to play a video which is on my NAS. The first time, it started to play successfully so I hit stop. Then I tried it again, it froze, I waited a while and then I eventually triggered it to reboot. Because the interface was unresponsive and the pastekodi command too, I retrieved the log after rebooting from kodi.old.log.

(So it looks like the other log/configuration files normally included aren't there in this upload. I'm not sure if you need them or not. But I couldn't figure out how to trigger an upload while targeting kodi.old.log.)

• Network issues:

Code
    2024-02-10 13:47:32.922 T:1336  warning <general>: OutputPicture - timeout waiting for buffer
    2024-02-10 13:47:40.489 T:1337     info <general>: Skipped 147 duplicate messages..
    2024-02-10 13:47:40.489 T:1337     info <general>: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled
    2024-02-10 13:47:40.498 T:1328    debug <general>: CVideoPlayer::HandlePlaySpeed - audio stream stalled, triggering re-sync
  • I‘m experiencing the exact same problems after upgrading to 11.0.6: First video plays fine, second plays audio only and freezes the UI until hard reboot.

A manual downgrade to 11.0.4 does not help.

• krisrok

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • krisrok also update to the LE12 beta: newer everything might fix the issue, and if not, then you're on the release that will can receive fixes as there will be no more LE11 releases.

• chewitt Thanks for the suggestion, issue persists on LE12 beta.

Da Flex Thanks, detailed logs will follow.

Is there a way to install a fresh 11.0.4 and then use a 11.0.6 backup to restore „only“ addons, media lib, settings and everything without actually upgrading to 11.0.6?

• I was not able to upload the log via UI (wrong, current log file as I had to reboot first) or pastekodi (froze the ssh connection), so I pulled the file via ssh and put it here:

Disney+: https://privatebin.net/?42510aa02eca3…tBgtstC36GKQZWB

ARDundZDF (german Mediathek): https://privatebin.net/?e43f8daf83371…LaMRekWXP7T9S4V

What happened in the log:

- I open a video.

- Playback begins (Video briefly flickers black, but then it works. This did not happen before the update.)

- I stop playback.

- I open a second video (the same episode or any other, does not matter).

- I can hear a few seconds of audio, but no video.

- UI completely freezes and needs to be rebooted via ssh or hardware.

Other things I noticed:

- I can play local videos just fine. Does not matter how many.

- If I play a Disney+ video after local video playback, it also results in the same freeze. Super strange.