LE on SD Card vs USB

• It'll depend a lot on the exact model you use, most of the 32-128GB USB sticks I have are a lot slower than the 32/64GB SD cards I use (Sandisk Extreme Pro), especially when it comes to writes and random access.

As a rule of thumb: if the manufacturer didn's spec write speed it'll be slow. For SD cards also make sure you get one with A1 or A2 application class and, as always, stay away from no-name brands.

You'd need to look for USB SSDs (not USB sticks / thumb drives), they should be fast - but they are quite expensive.

so long,

Hias

• It'll depend a lot on the exact model you use, most of the 32-128GB USB sticks I have are a lot slower than the 32/64GB SD cards I use (Sandisk Extreme Pro), especially when it comes to writes and random access.

As a rule of thumb: if the manufacturer didn's spec write speed it'll be slow. For SD cards also make sure you get one with A1 or A2 application class and, as always, stay away from no-name brands.

You'd need to look for USB SSDs (not USB sticks / thumb drives), they should be fast - but they are quite expensive.

so long,

Hias

i mostly use san disk usb 3 drive

• i mostly use san disk usb 3 drive

This doesn't say much, Sandisk has a ton of different models.

I can't test on RPi5 right now but on my PC eg my Sandisk Ultrafit 32GB USB3 stick does about 140MB read / 50 MB write whereas my Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB microsd card achieves 170MB read / 90MB write speed (both tests were linear reading/writing 1GB of data).

so long,

Hias

• Have done some tests with reboot and update (from pressing Reboot to updated and fully booted):

Pi5 SDcard = 1 min 35 sec

Pi5 M2 = 50 sec

and

ASRock J5040, 16GB RAM, SSD = 30 sec.

Edit:

Pi4 USB3 SSD = 1 min 5 sec

Pi4 USB2 SSD = 1 min 20 sec

Edited once, last by MatteN (January 24, 2024 at 12:58 PM).

• This doesn't say much, Sandisk has a ton of different models.

I can't test on RPi5 right now but on my PC eg my Sandisk Ultrafit 32GB USB3 stick does about 140MB read / 50 MB write whereas my Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB microsd card achieves 170MB read / 90MB write speed (both tests were linear reading/writing 1GB of data).

so long,

Hias

good to know

yeah ssd will always be better.

I mainly talking about normal thumb drives

Edited once, last by Nekromantik: Merged a post created by Nekromantik into this post. (January 24, 2024 at 5:21 PM).