Raspberry Pi - Boot issue

• Hi, I am in a bit of a pickle ... my trusted Raspberry Pi with Kodi running on LibreELEC is not booting beyond the Just enough OS for Kodi screen.

I have been able to access the Kodi logs but given the system does not boot into Kodi there are no current error logs.

The most recent Kodi log files are from last week which is not helpful.

Sometime between last week and today the system must have crashed, rebooted and ever since it is stuck on the Just enough OS for Kodi screen.

Any suggestions how I can troubleshoot this?

I assume the system does record boot logs somewhere but I was unable to locate them.

Any idea where I can find them?

Also, is there perhaps a way I can emulate running the USB from within my Raspberry PI desktop test environment?

If yes, what commands do I need to use to emulate the USB?

I think this would help rule out any h/w issue with my Raspberry Pie.

Any ideas? Hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Phil

• Thank you. Much appreciated.

This said, I have failed on the first hurdle ... I cannot add the new file due to lack of permissions on the SD card.

Permission Denied

I am using raspbian desktop on a vm to read the SD card.

Tried the su - command to login as root ... and used the touch command to add a new file ... this created the file but when I detached the SD card it was gone again.

I also tried to SSH using PuTTY (port 22) from my windows desktop to the Raspberry Pi but no response :(

However, I was able to decipher an onscreen error in very small print - Error in Mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount

Any idea what I could do to troubleshoot / resolve this error?

Edited 4 times, last by phil369 (January 20, 2024 at 7:50 PM).

• Do you have SSH access after starting LE? If so, you can use the nano editor to create the file.

I bet your /storage file system has errors. In that case it can be helpful to use a repair tool onto that partition.

• Thank you. I think you are right. Looks like a file system error.

SSH does not connect. The only way I manage to 'read' the SD card is going through Raspbian desktop.

I thought about cloning the SD card using Win32DiskImager but not sure this will resolve the issue.

Anyway, I have taken a clone for now.

Is there perhaps a file checker in Raspbian that I could use to fix the file system error?

Edited 2 times, last by phil369 (January 20, 2024 at 8:50 PM).

• Thanks. Tried to mount my clone in windows but raspbian does not detect it.

Oh well, I've now ordered a new SD card.

I will then clone to the new SD and try to reproduce the error using the new SD card.

If the clone is getting the same result I'll proceed to test the fsck command on the clone.

Hopefully fsck will fix the issue and I can get the new sd card booting into kodi.

Fingers crossed.

• Quick situation update ... my issue is resolved. Cloning to another SD card did the trick. I think I may have run out of storage space on the old SD card. Go figure ... thank you for your kind help!