Video suddenly freezes, buffers and then crashes

• Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I have been having sporadic problems playing videos for a few months now.

During playback, the playback suddenly freezes. Kodi briefly shows buffering, but it stops and does not continue. Picture and sound are frozen and after a short time the playback is stopped and you end up back in the selection menu of the movies/series you were watching.

It doesn't matter whether the content is SD, HD or 4k.
    Sometimes it runs flawlessly for hours until the error mentioned above occurs.

As of today, I use an RPi4 4GB in an Argon One housing. The content is retrieved from a NAS via NFS.

A lot has changed since the error occurred. The RPi4 has moved from the official Kodi case and SD card to an Argon One with SSD. The network switch has also been replaced in the meantime. Only the NAS is still the same. The error persists.

In the meantime, I activated the debug log once and was able to find the following lines in the log yesterday after the error occurred again at around 00:22.

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Sorry, my mistake!

Stupid question: can I hide the debug display at the top left of the debug?

The problem is that the described error only occurs every few hours. But we have also had 3 days of silence. In the latter period, however, the error actually occurs once a day.

• Yes you can. Use log level 1 or 2 at advancedsettings.xml. Then disable debug mode at GUI, and reboot.

Does it matter which log level I use for the current troubleshooting, 1 or 2?

Argon One cases are known for soldering issues. Especially small connectors like microHDMI or USB-C are critical. So I suggest test sessions without that case.

I had already read that, but it can't be that.

I have the same problem with a Raspi 4 in the original Kodi Case with SD card in the bedroom and have exactly the same problem here. It is also completely irrelevant what quality the medium has, SD, HD, 4k, the same problem everywhere.

When I started troubleshooting months ago, I tried everything. The first thing I did was to put the Raspi in the Argon One in the living room. Then I replaced the switch, installed an SSD cache in my NAS and replaced the database. At first I thought it was a release problem, but unfortunately there was no improvement with the current 20.2 either

• The movie stopped at 19:54. Same behavior again.

Yep, that error is visible in the log:

Code
    Jan 12 19:54:31.760060 Kodi-WZ connmand[597]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.012913 sec
    Jan 12 19:54:41.015071 Kodi-WZ kernel: rpivid feb10000.codec: rpivid_h265_stop
    Jan 12 19:55:08.864468 Kodi-WZ kernel: rpivid feb10000.codec: rpivid_h265_start: (3840x1616)
    Jan 12 19:55:08.891862 Kodi-WZ kernel: rpivid feb10000.codec: SPS changed
    Jan 12 19:55:08.892280 Kodi-WZ kernel: rpivid feb10000.codec: PPS changed
    Jan 12 20:00:00.289036 Kodi-WZ crond[390]: USER root pid 1340 cmd ntpd -n -p 172.22.29.1
    Jan 12 20:00:05.659047 Kodi-WZ crond[1174]: ntpd: reply from 172.22.29.1: peer is unsynced
    Jan 12 20:00:16.121645 Kodi-WZ crond[1249]: ntpd: reply from 172.22.29.1: peer is unsynced

Looks like an NTP error. Read here:

MultimediaGuy
    September 6, 2016 at 12:17 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you very much for your help!

I did indeed replace my firewall with an OPNsense a few months ago and had massive problems with my Raspis when interacting with NTP on the firewall. However, I would never have thought that a faulty NTP query would lead to problems with playback.

I will reconfigure the whole thing, test it and report back to you.

Thank you very much for now, I really appreciate your help!

• Hello, here I am again.

Yesterday I switched my Kodi systems to public NTP servers, tested them and made sure that Kodi can reach them. I thought I was safe :D

Unfortunately, the error occurred twice again yesterday, once on January 13 at 22:32 and then again on January 14 at 01:32:

https://paste.libreelec.tv/grand-antelope.log

What I'm reading now is that it's having a problem accessing the network. According to my NAS and my switch, there was no disconnection. However, I have now ordered a new Gbic as a precaution (I have my NAS connected via 10 GE fiber).

Apart from that, I'm at my wit's end. I will test the connection via SMB again, but I have been using Kodi via NFS for almost 10 years.

• Thanks for removing all those NTP errors from the log.

I think your NAS connection is OK, because you don't have the typical "waiting for buffer" warnings in the log.

Most of the current errors are harmless, but I'm not sure about this error:

• There is a warning about the <videodatabase> tag at advancedsettings.xml:

Can you do a test run without <videodatabase> content?

• Do you mean the note with "warning <general>: VIDEO database configuration is experimental"?

As far as I know, this notice has always been in the logs. The background to this is that my entire database is stored centrally on a MySQL server, and has been for a good 10 years.