open-iscsi support for raspberry Pi 3

• I'd like to try open-scsi to access a DVD drive in a media server near by. Unfortunately the open-scsi package in packages/sysutils/ in the source tree seems not to be included in the image LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0.4.img.gz.

Can this package be compiled separately and then installed on the Pi, and if so, how could this be schieved? Any hints are welcome.

Background:

There is not much to be found on the web about this topic. I found some thread by users with the same problem but advice was not very helpful, like

• open-iscsi is located only in the initramfs - I don't believe this because it doesn't make sense and there is nothing to be seen in sysetemctl
    • rip your DVDs and store them as mp4 - no comment
    • get a usb player or buy a dvd or blue ray player from walmart for 50 bucks - thank you. this is not an anwer to the question. I don't have the space for yet another device

I had kodi installed on my media server (running ubuntu server) for some time, but out of reasons unknown, after a system upgrade, hdmi stopped working as it should . I liked the kodi DVD support which worked very nice. Running kodi on a Pi is a very good solution for me but I'm missing the DVD.

• While building the new image is in progress I wonder if the open-iscsi package could be built for itself and then included somehow or, even better, built as a plugin? This would possibly be faster and leverage system updates without rebuilding the entire image. Just an idea...

I guess the makefile in the open-scsi package is used by the image build and cannot be be used standalone. Right?

• It'll be more work to create and maintain an add-on than to simply rebase the one-line/one-commit change to enable/include the package in a self-built image. The add-on would only work for your post-boot use-case whereas iscsi is more commonly used for early-boot things (albeit not within LE as I don't recall anyone complaining when we dropped it from the image).

• I mistook SCSI for SATA! No need for iscsi-client. Sorry for this.
    I'll close this thread and open a new one for nbd.

The good thing: compiling libreelec succeeded and iscsi-client was there. Thanks for the instructions.