is there support for 96khz 5.1 audio on Rpi5?

• There is only support for 48khz 5.1 audio on Rpi3

For example if I play a MKV H264 1080i Video with 5.1 96khz audio(Dts hd ma or True hd) the Rpi3 will output PCM 5.1 48khz only, will the Rpi5 be able to output PCM 5.1 96khz?

Ive just read som threads and it seems the Rpi3 can handle pcm 5.1 @ 96khz via HDMI...... what am I missing...

In audio settings I only change to 5.1, do I have to enable/disable something elese??

I have to enable omxplayer to be able to play my 1080i videos 59,94hz without struggle, is there maybee a limit for the omxplayer to only support 48khz with 5.1 sound.... I cant try with mmal as it struggles with playing my videos correct..

Edited 4 times, last by hundrakg: Merged a post created by hundrakg into this post. (October 23, 2023 at 9:06 AM).

• Ive found the problem: only with MMAL it supports 96khz 5.1 sound, with OMXPlayer it downgrades to 48khz....

Im stuck as my Rpi3 cant play a H264 1080i with MMAL only with OMXPlayer, so I guess I have to stick with OMXPlayer and only 48khz 5.1 Audio :(

• The DTS HD MA files I had here all were only 48kHz but with the lossless DTS-HD HRA kodi showed it was being output at 96kHz

Note that in general it's recommended to use passthrough. Use PCM output only if your AVR doesn't support the format, but note that software decoding and converesion to PCM is quite limited (eg none of the object formats will work).

so long,

Hias

• Still want to know why OMXPlayer dont support decode to 5.1 PCM 96khz, only MMAL does?

Im talkning about Rpi3

Simple answer is omxplayer is ancient and its replacements have had far more recent work on them including support for new features.

MMAL is still ancient (but a little less so). On Pi4 and Pi5 you can't use HBR audio passthrough (DTS-HD, TrueHD) with MMAL, but you can with the latest interfaces (arm side ALSA, and V4L2/DRM for video).

• Simple answer is omxplayer is ancient and its replacements have had far more recent work on them including support for new features.

MMAL is still ancient (but a little less so). On Pi4 and Pi5 you can't use HBR audio passthrough (DTS-HD, TrueHD) with MMAL, but you can with the latest interfaces (arm side ALSA, and V4L2/DRM for video).

OK, but will Rpi5 be able to decode Dts hd ma and True hd to PCM 5.1 96Khz? from a 1080i H264 Video

• Even the RPi3 can do this. Please test with a current LE version (LE11 or LE12 nightly) on a separate SD card.

RPi0-3 have a hardware limitation so that 192kHz 7.1ch PCM output and TrueHD/DTS-HD passthrough can't work but 96kHz is supported.

Other than that of course your AVR must support 96kHz audio and there are some limitations on software decoding audio (eg the object based audio formats like Atmos are not supported).

so long,

Hias

• update: totally disaster, LE11 latest stable, didnt find my portable usb hard drive, so I really cant try anything. And then I noticed LE 11 have other HW Decoder, does this one support HW decoding VC-1 and MPEG 2 ?

So went back to latest LE 9, and all work perfect except 96Khz sound :(

• If your portable hard drive is formatted with NTFS then hook it up to a windows PC and run chkdsk to fix the filesystem errors (older LE versions were more tolerant about them).

VC1 and MPEG2 hardware decoding are still supported on RPi0-3 if you have the license(s).

so long,

Hias

• Now I have tried LE11 with Rpi3, it seems to HW Decode h.264 fine and also play 5.1 sound @96khz :)

I also did run check disk in windows PC and now my hardrive will be recognized also ;)

Thanks for the suggestions...