Bricked Wetek Hub ... now what

• chewitt

Question: Is there any valid reason why the stock bootloader must be replaced for the LE11+ image?

I'm only asking this because it seems that the box image can run from an SD card under the factory bootloader without any problems, so I see this as an unnecessarily dangerous thing.

This is exactly why I don't dare to use emmctool, because at the moment it doesn't seem like any kind of "disaster recovery" would work for WP2 and the Hub. One thing is certain, that the number of problematic cases is much more than zero. Knowing this, I consider it a bit risky to release not sufficiently tested images that overwrite the factory bootloader.

• thegooddoctor

https://libreelec.dtech.hu/misc/wetek-unb…Hub_Restore.zip

^ Download this file, unpack its contents and follow the instructions in README.TXT.

Thank you for this my fellow Hungarian :)

Unfortunately I can't boot from SD card on my "half-bricked" Wetek HUB, for whatever reason its not detecting/seeing the SD card whether I keep pressing the reset button on the bottom during power on or not.

I have UART connected so I see the boot process and if I enter "boot" it will boot from emmc.

My question would be is there any way (like a command in uboot or in LE) to make the box boot from SD next time? Or to write this "recovery" image of yours from emmc?

Thank you in advance! :)

• You cannot write (dd) anything from the u-boot console. Even if you could, you would fail writing to emmc since that's what the device has booted u-boot from (at some point you overwrite the code you're running). The board should boot from USB in addition to SD though; although you might need to manually start USB from the usb console before manually running bootscript commands.

• Thank you for this my fellow Hungarian :)

Halihó! ;)

The essence of the factory recovery method would be that after pressing the reset button, although the internal uboot starts, if it is not damaged. After that, instead of the kernel it calls the recovery.img from the SD card and then from the USB, finally from the eMMC. (Obviously, it boots what it finds first from the previous sequence.)

It seems that this is either not implemented in upstream uboot for some reason, or maybe some condition is not met, IDK... :/

There might be a workaround, please rename the recovery.img file on the "unbrick" SD card to KERNEL and try booting it again.