Network (WLAN/Wifi) only sporadic available

• I have a Raspi 2 with an Edimax EW-7612UAN V2 at my parent's home. There is a crontab which makes an automatic reboot every morning at 6 a.m.

I have a VPN access to the Fritzbox router at my parents home and can get access to the Raspi with ssh. But this works only in 1 from 20 days. The other days the Fritzbox shows that no device is connected to its network. Today is one of the rare days the Raspi is connected an I have access.

What could be the problem?

Code
    iw wlan0 get power_save

already shows

Code
    Power save: off

I also have in /storage/.cache/libreelec/network_wait

Code
    WAIT_NETWORK="true"
    WAIT_NETWORK_TIME="10"

My suspect is that this only a wait before starting Kodi. Maybe the problem is that loading the driver and initializing the stick with its firmware is not ready when LibreElec starts the network. I don't know how this works - should a network always start once a device becomes available? Or could there be a timing problem?

• If the drivers load, the network will come up, and if Kodi was told to wait until Kodi is online it generally does that reliably. However there is no magic we can do in software to fix radio issues, so if the connection is rubbish /shrug

• Right now the Fritzbox shows a signal strength of -65dBm which should be good.

Signalstärke-65dBm

max. mögliche Datenrate (maximum possible speed)144 / 144 Mbit/s

aktuelle Datenrate (current speed) 61 / 117 Mbit/s

WLAN-Standard WLAN-b+g+n / Wi-Fi 4

Frequenzband 2,4 GHz

Kanalbandbreite 20 MHz

Streams2 x 2

The stick is advertised with 802.11b/g/n and a maximum speed of 300 Mbit/s when connected to a 802.11n WLAN. Therefore the 144 Mbits/s makes me wonder. The rtl8xxxu in kernel 6.1.19 seems to be the right driver.

The Fritzbox works on autochannel mode (currently channel 11) and shows no noise. There is no other WLAN net on channel 11 and there are no other WLAN devices in the house. Of course I don't know how it looks when the Raspi is offline, but I doubt that the conditions differ much on other days.

While I am writing this the connection suddenly broke and the Fritzbox is no longer connected to any WLAN device...

• When I was at home visiting my parents I checked the wifi connection via OSD menu. I tried to connect to the router and got "invalid key" answer. Tried it again several times and suddenly it works. A few hours later the Raspi was again unreachable...

As I am on LE 11.0.1 I believe I have the infamous invalid-key-bug: https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/issues/7166

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

In /storage/.cache/connman/wifi_08beac0ef069_4d442d3231323739_managed_psk there is a valid settings file for the router.