Memory Leak / Kodi Crashing since upgrading from 10.0.4 to 11.0.1

• Hi,

I've been a happy LibreElec user since 10.0. And I've been on 10.0.4 for the last few months, thinking of upgrading to 11 but never getting around to it. I run LibreELEC on a little ASUS NUC with 4Gb RAM.

5 nights ago I finally had enough time to sit down and upgrade to 11.0.1. The upgrade went fine, I had to update all my add-ons and reboot for everything to work again, and I also had to readjust the calibration of the TV to make sure all the picture was on the screen, but everything else kept working (including my paired bluetooth keyboard)

However - I've been having issues with the box just crashing, and sshing onto it to always seem to be in swap-hell. The CPU goes to 100% and everything being unusable. I have Zabbix running in a Docker container, here's some graphs from the last 2 days (it's crashed twice, you can see the CPU spikes both times)

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems with LibreElec 11.x?

I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be, I am assuming some sort of memory leak somewhere. I read this bug report but while similar the root cause for them was DNS and I have no such DNS issues here (plus my crash is a hard crash needing the box to be repowered)

Obviously the list of addons I have would be of great help to anyone reading this debug report, but I don't know how to generate that from the CLI?

Here's the output of my .kodi/addons folder which shows them.

tv:~/.kodi/addons # ls

game.controller.default script.module.clouddrive.common

game.controller.snes script.module.dateutil

inputstream.adaptive script.module.defusedxml

inputstream.ffmpegdirect script.module.future

inputstream.rtmp script.module.idna

metadata.album.universal script.module.infotagger

metadata.artists.universal script.module.inputstreamhelper

metadata.common.fanart.tv script.module.kodi-six

metadata.common.imdb.com script.module.myconnpy

metadata.common.themoviedb.org script.module.pathtools

metadata.themoviedb.org.python script.module.pyqrcode

metadata.tvdb.com.python script.module.requests

metadata.tvshows.themoviedb.org script.module.six

metadata.tvshows.themoviedb.org.python script.module.slyguy

packages script.module.trakt

plugin.audio.au.radio script.module.tvdbsimple

plugin.audio.nz.radio script.module.typing_extensions

plugin.googledrive script.module.unidecode

plugin.library.node.editor script.module.urllib3

plugin.program.iptv.merge script.module.watchdog

plugin.video.au.freeview script.openweathermap.maps

plugin.video.crackle script.plex

plugin.video.nz.freeview script.rss.editor

plugin.video.three.now service.system.docker

plugin.video.tvnz.ondemand slyguy.dependencies

plugin.video.youtube slyguy.neon

pvr.iptvsimple slyguy.skygo.nz

repository.castagnait temp

repository.slyguy virtual.network-tools

script.globalsearch virtual.system-tools

script.keymap visualization.fishbmc

script.module.addon.signals visualization.goom

script.module.arrow visualization.projectm

script.module.certifi weather.multi

script.module.chardet

And so I'm after some advice, please, to help track down what might be causing the issue so that I can provide a good bug report.

I could rollback to 10.0.4, I have backups of my /storage folder from that version, but I'd rather be on the latest and greatest.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide, please let me know what other information that would be useful.

Please see attached dmesg-lspci-lsusb-mount.txt for details of the device itself.

Thanks!!

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Hi,

I seem to have resolved this by using the Generic-legacy.x86_64 image, instead of the Generic image.

With this, memory usage stays stable, sometimes kodi.bin grows while scanning etc, but it will always shrink back down.

.kodi/tmp/kodi.log didn't show me anything interesting at all.

I will keep an eye on it for the next week and if it proves stable that'll be great for my family, but not great for understanding what the actual root cause is. So I'll look to collect the logs etc you've asked for.

Would it be worthwhile running kodi under gdb/valgrind or similar?

Thanks for your help.

Tim

PS: Are you able to change my forum name to "muppet" please? I don't know how I managed to drop a p while creating the account! Thanks!!