Install to partion not whole disk

• I've just installed the v12 generic nightly from memory stick to ssd on a Dell Optiplex. I partitioned the SSD in the hope that the installation process would offer the option of which partition. Nope - it needed the whole SSD.

If not to difficult I'd like an option to select a partition or the whole disk.

• This has been debated in the past. It would be nice, but when things fcuk up (and they will, frequently) we become the bad guys who killed some users Windows install with pictures of their first-born child, favourite dead dog, etc.

Not supporting it, ever, sidesteps the issue, so 110% never happening.

• This has been debated in the past. It would be nice, but when things fcuk up (and they will, frequently) we become the bad guys who killed some users Windows install with pictures of their first-born child, favourite dead dog, etc.

Not supporting it, ever, sidesteps the issue, so 110% never happening.

For those who fear life without Windows but need the Linux experience there’s always the dual boot Windows/Linux OS with full Kodi.

With hardware mentioned above there’s really no benefit installing LE as most of additional hardware like RAM etc is lost on a platform like that.

Your RPI3/4 is the ideal candidate for a JeOS based on the appliance model which clearly your Dell PC is not.

• chewitt

My apologies for not coming up with the right search term to find it <G>

I can understand the approach, especially when the main focus is on SBCs . I took the easy way out and my music collection is in music, my music videos are in videos and the films will be on the 6TB external drive.

• i will not guarantee anything and take no responsibility, but it is not so difficult to do - but i have no idea if with any Update from any Software it may get messed up.

I have it running on a lenovo laptop for traveling purpose (libreeelc TV, windows Playing, ubuntu surfing)

You are responsible for your own data and please read the rest only if you know what you are doing with Partitions,EFI and so on.

What you have to do (more or less)

1.) install libreelec

2.) shrink the partition and leave afterwards unpartitioned and unformated

3.) install 2nd if needed windows on the unpartioned part

=> of course libreeelc will not be started any more, but grub will handle this later

4.) now you can create linux partitions on your own after windows like you want

4.) install linux and grub

==> and then you have a grub boot menu where you can select the "3 worlds"

Then you have maybe something like this:

• Thanks for the suggestion. I have done something similar only in my case expanding the partition when moving from a 16GB -> 64GB microSD. Clone then expand partition so I know that works.