No WiFi at MXQ PRO 4K 5G

• Hi all,

I have an MXQ PRO 4K 5G, it has S805.

Just found that wifi is not working, the wifi chip is an RTL-8723BS, (024c:8723), tried modprobe on r8723bs but getting
    modprobe: FATAL: Module r8723bs not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.108

any clue about that?

reading the posts i've seen that similiar issues were not reported on previous version but i've tested from 9.2.8 to 9.2.8.8

USB, LAN and other things seems to work fine.

Thanks

• Just found that wifi is not working, the wifi chip is an RTL-8723BS, (024c:8723), tried modprobe on r8723bs but getting
    modprobe: FATAL: Module r8723bs not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.108

The RTL8723BS is supported (module name: 8723bs.ko, without the "r" at the beginning), but it seems to me that the wifi chip you indicated is an RTL8723AS, which unfortunately I don't know too much about, but I'll try to look it up. I would like to ask you for a little patience.

• Please try this snapshot image:

Index of /snapshots/20230512_rtl8723as_9b693a0/

Bluetooth probably won't work, but wifi should hopefully start with this driver.

Changes:

Thanks, it is AS and not BS. I have misunderstood vid and pid, now I've checked the chip by removing the heat sink. Wifi it's not working, switched to Lan use.

Note: Testing the provided image I've found that Kodi starts in safe mode, reverted to previous 9.2.8.8

In spare time I will try to find some info on the AS version.

Thanks

• Thanks, it is AS and not BS. I have misunderstood vid and pid, now I've checked the chip by removing the heat sink.

Could you send some photos of the PCB?

Testing the provided image I've found that Kodi starts in safe mode ...

That doesn't look promising, it usually happens after several unsuccessful boot process. It's a shame I would have asked for some kernel log, but that way you could only extract anything meaningful from the UART.

• Well, the manufacturer saved a lot of space, the PCB is quite small compared to the size of the box.

How to access the uart? there are pins on the PCB?

The unsoldered 4-pin header behind one of the Jack connectors looks similar, but I'm not sure it really is.

• Well, the manufacturer saved a lot of space, the PCB is quite small compared to the size of the box.

Yes, looking at the cut point I suppose they get 2 board from a single pcb. The box could have been really smaller with a different pcb approach. I think that's behind the marketing idea: bigger is better...

• I think that's behind the marketing idea: bigger is better...

I think the manufacturer simply has a bunch of empty MXQ boxes that they haven't sold before. By the way, the "5G" label on the box is also strange because the RTL8723AS only works on 2.4GHz. So it's the usual Chinese industrial scam again. I haven't been surprised by this in a while...

Meanwhile, I found an obvious error in the driver that I hadn't noticed before. I fixed this, please try this new snapshot version:

Index of /snapshots/20230515_rtl8723as_67db88d/

You should probably boot successfully with this image, but even if the wifi is working or not, I would ask for a journalctl | paste output.

• If anyone has a similar box, or knows where to get a 100% identical one, please let me know.

UPD. I managed to install an older version of the Droid HW Info and it showed rtl8723as. :) Installed the new snapshot version and the wifi still doesn't work.

• someoneelse

The above command should be run relatively quickly after Kodi startup, preferably without pressing any button on the remote control.

Unfortunately, the log buffer is limited, so what you sent is only filled by pressing buttons on the remote control.