Looking for a perfect HTPC + NAS hardware

• Thanks. I just ordered a Intel NUC11TNKi3 to test latest LibreElec HDR10 builds (Tiger Lake) (TGLx)

Based on that doc my 2 x Intel NUC8 are not going to do HDR10 (KBLx).

Hi,

HDR10 is supported since Gemini lake (also Refresh and later) and needs linux Kernel 5.xx+ (now is 6.2 in ubuntu 23.04).

But it was not in Windows at the begining (now it is ok in W11 and igfx 101.211 for 6-10th gen)

and is not in ChromeOS drivers (as HEVC starts R109 for 11th gen+ starting i5 !)

Note that oldiest NUC can work (starting NUC6/7 that used TBT, and sure for my NUC8i3BEH2, backed up with i3-8109u gen8 but iris plus 655 9.5gen GLK-like, playing now at my eyes the HDR10 hw decode out of the box when W11...

Alors got VP9.2 and DolbyVision (here with appx and 20sec cnx internet to M$) working fine, no need of 4K hdr/DV TV as CPU/GPU done.

So if you don't mind AV1 hw decode, as 2k or 4k less about 12mbps are effective in sw , you can use yours NUC8 or feel free to get any cheaper NUC ... If only HDR10, let's try W11 on yours NUCs ! Else LE/kodi19-20 will work ...

Edit:

remember that

1) intel definitly lies on announcements & ark specs in a marketing bloat way, as they can't 'under'build most of the time (thx SMP & real hw devs)

2) You need DP1.4 or at least HDMI2.0b to get passthrough for hdr10 & 10/12bits DV to your TV hdr/DV display, because HDMI2.0 is 18Gbps limited and can't carry 4K 60fps 10bits/12bits videos (even when the cable can achive itself such debit of resp 25 and 30gbps). The good thing is that W11 and LE-kodi (and others) does the tone mappings directly on the PC whatever is the display for the best picture & color possible...

Edited 6 times, last by fab233: add HDR10/DV passthrough (April 20, 2023 at 8:47 PM).

• Just to let you know the current state of the project.

I've got all the components here:

Streacom ST-FC8 Alpha (black) - the passive case with optical drive slot

ERYING Mini-ITX Motherboard i5-12500H - the Mini-ITX board with mobile Intel CPU and Iris XE GPU (i5-12500H)

Kingston FURY DDR4 3200 MHz 16 GB RAM - dual channel 2x 8 GB memory

Kingston FURY M.2 500 GB SSD - primary disk for LE

Panasonic UJ-265 - slot-in SATA Blu-ray writer from "old stock" (Ebay)

M.2 SATA controller card - 4 port SATA controller expansion card (AliExpress)

Pico PSU 150 W - 12 VDC ATX power supply (AliExpress)

and a bunch of small accessories, cables etc. (mostly from AliExpress)

I've already tried if the basics fit together (I will have to use the bottom M.2 slot for the SSD to avoid the proximity to the heat pipes) and I'm looking forward for the final build process. I have yet to decide what SATA disks I'm going to use for the RAID NAS storage (depending on the remaining space in the case and the cooling performance).

Edited 2 times, last by KOPRajs (May 18, 2023 at 1:01 PM).

• Thanks. I just ordered a Intel NUC11TNKi3 to test latest LibreElec HDR10 builds (Tiger Lake) (TGLx)

Based on that doc my 2 x Intel NUC8 are not going to do HDR10 (KBLx).

Well, how's it going?
    I can't get my nuc11 to keep hdmi audio running. Also a number of glitches with 4k hevc hw when streaming from tv.

• Hi KOPRajs,

Did you complete this project?

Thanks

It might sound a bit wierd as I already have all the components here, but no, not yet. I'm currently enjoying the summer and I'm looking forward to get back to this once the summer is over.

I'm planning to use this hardware for Kodi 21 and hopefully for the more demanding emulators when Kodi gets the libretro OpenGL support. Until then I'm fine with my current Amlogic S922X based system which can easily handle emulators up to PCSX (PS1).