Posts by fab233

Thanks. I just ordered a Intel NUC11TNKi3 to test latest LibreElec HDR10 builds (Tiger Lake) (TGLx)

Based on that doc my 2 x Intel NUC8 are not going to do HDR10 (KBLx).

Hi,

HDR10 is supported since Gemini lake (also Refresh and later) and needs linux Kernel 5.xx+ (now is 6.2 in ubuntu 23.04).

But it was not in Windows at the begining (now it is ok in W11 and igfx 101.211 for 6-10th gen)

and is not in ChromeOS drivers (as HEVC starts R109 for 11th gen+ starting i5 !)

Note that oldiest NUC can work (starting NUC6/7 that used TBT, and sure for my NUC8i3BEH2, backed up with i3-8109u gen8 but iris plus 655 9.5gen GLK-like, playing now at my eyes the HDR10 hw decode out of the box when W11...

Alors got VP9.2 and DolbyVision (here with appx and 20sec cnx internet to M$) working fine, no need of 4K hdr/DV TV as CPU/GPU done.

So if you don't mind AV1 hw decode, as 2k or 4k less about 12mbps are effective in sw , you can use yours NUC8 or feel free to get any cheaper NUC ... If only HDR10, let's try W11 on yours NUCs ! Else LE/kodi19-20 will work ...

Edit:

remember that

1) intel definitly lies on announcements & ark specs in a marketing bloat way, as they can't 'under'build most of the time (thx SMP & real hw devs)

2) You need DP1.4 or at least HDMI2.0b to get passthrough for hdr10 & 10/12bits DV to your TV hdr/DV display, because HDMI2.0 is 18Gbps limited and can't carry 4K 60fps 10bits/12bits videos (even when the cable can achive itself such debit of resp 25 and 30gbps). The good thing is that W11 and LE-kodi (and others) does the tone mappings directly on the PC whatever is the display for the best picture & color possible...

Ok for perhaps

That page is wrong. All Tiger Lake CPUs (including Celeron 6305) can decode AV1 in hardware.

IMG-20230416-165637.jpg

IMG-20230416-165603.jpg

IMG-20230416-165547.jpg

OK, cpu-monkey sometimes can get inacurate info,

but i got a i3-1115g4 chromebook (so a gen-11 tiger lake) and at a time ChromeOS release R110 did support AV1 , that i3 did'nt !

It was able to sofw decode in 1080p, but was heavy stuttering the elecard demo once in 4k !

Other ChromeOS forum people said AV1 decode was starting with i5, so entry level Celeron & pentium as that i3 were not supporting decode AV1 in hw, as mentionned in the intel itself announcement slides !

In fact, it's that unluckly same problem with intel : for Gemini Lake, they did'nt finaly (after announcement) implement hdmi2.0 output to allow hdr10 in the drivers they wrote. Thx SMP to free up that GPUs ...

It's likely what appens now : for windows; linux & chromeOS they have probably swapped AV1 decode function for their low entry core GPU as the i3-1115g4.

Same problem potentially then with Jasper lake (as N6000), a gen-10 CPU with a sunny gen-11 GPU that shoud also decode AV1 in hw ...

Also many cpus described by intel as 8 or 16 GB ram limited ... are not in fact ! obviously marketing ...

Well, glad to have your 6305 decoding AV1 in hw, but I see your test video in Elecard, less than 8mbps that can be sw decoded,

so try the other one at <18mbps> 4K (the 2 videos exist 2k & 4k) ...

If the red Fiat near red traffic light makes a light stutter @ 2K , when @4k it's a cartoon frame group by frame group and it's the evidence !

I also see that you used a kodi 15-04-2023 build,

perphaps a full new LE to download so I could also test by myself ?

Cheers

Hi KOPRajs,

I just did the test of some 12gen W11 licenced mini-PC under 199€, 15-25W tdp, with full hw decode including AV1,

while lowest entry level chip :

Ace Magician AD03 Mini PC, 12th Intel Alder Lake-N95

Beelink MINI-S12 Mini PC, 12th Intel Alder Lake-N95

NiPoGi GK3 Plus Mini PC, 12TH Intel Alder Lake N95

Booting ubuntu & LE on 4K-HDR10-DV tv, only Beelink does the job.

NiPoGi is very closed bios ...

Ace Magician don't have support for more than windows (on 4K-UHD-60hz, 23.04beta needs booting 'safe graphics', LE doesn't boot)

So the only to get same time full options bios, all USB3.2 usb port, and NVME ssd is this MINI-S12 Beelink,

see https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/index?id=433

Got also latest W11toGo key to boot with HDR10 & AV1 4K-20Mbps decode, never higher than 55% GPU (ie fluently).

Such MINI-S12 could go up to 16Gram ddr4-3200/1T-nvme/2T-sata-hd, with an entry price of 179€ delivered with 8G/128G config , I think that is the best in Q1 2023 and the smallest in form factor...

The only bad thing is the old wifi5/BT4 chips soldered... but as server, you can Ethernet with a usb hub/eth and let eth port for your lan.

smp :

when I saw that i3-1115G4 was the only 11th-gen core CPU not accelerating AV1 decode (i sent back a HP x360 14c-cc chromebook because of that...), i used to have faith to monkey results. And despite a good CPU, they say AV1 decode NO https://www.cpu-monkey.com/fr/cpu-intel_celeron_6305.

Note that with that class of CPU https://www.cpu-monkey.com/fr/benchmark-i…n_6305-bench_11,

an 2k AV1 is well played by software, althrough at the limit, and at 4K is very chopy... (I use Elecard videos).

So i ran to gen-12 chips and N95 as entry level...

fab233 add "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60" to boot params in syslinux.cfg; this should force Linux to 1080p@60 instead of the 4K modes which either driver or TV seems to dislike. Kodi GUI will run best @ 1080p with 4K modes only used for video playback via whitelist and adjust-refresh set to start/stop.

Hi,

smp & MatrixNetrunner

Thanx for your 'pro' advices.

My hdmi cable is (and was) a 8K'one.

Change in syslinux.cfg, HDMI-A-1 orA-2 or A-2, had no effect.

But swapping Ace Magician AD03 to Beelink MINI-S 12 let the latter full booting good ending to KODI 2160p@60 this time. So problem relied on bioses quality...

But now, with Beelink, I have no access to hw decoding on my AlderLake N95 iGP capable (is UHD grafics from gen 11).

Ubuntu 23.04 will use kernel linux 6.2, so with inside any possible intel drv from icelake+ now better working...

I saw kernel 6.1 used on LE Prime edition, so possible "i915" embedded drivers are not Alder compatible to get hw acceleration in new intel coding ...

Well, I'm waiting ubuntu 23.04 launch to test ubuntu hw video codecs to diagnose my late problem...

See you later ...

Thx again for your help

Not booting at all or just no signal?

Well, black screen and no signal .... this as soon as 10-11sec auto start booting (syslinux menu is displayed, showing 5 seconds to start live) and mini-PC still running, no reboot at all, stuck in "no signal" on screen, must be shut down by long press on power button.

This only appears when the TV(dolby vision capable) is defined as EDID 2.0, ie 2160p @60, which is verified as 'bubbled' when powering ON the mini-PC.

BUT when defined as EDID 1.4, power-on is then bubbled 2160p @ 30 on TV and LE 20230331 starting after 10-11sec on live, then it take control of the display with another 2160o@30 bubble showing in the 2 sec, then immediatly appears the LE Welcome screen !, and everything is fine.

Also I just tried Ubuntu 2304, same problem at 4K60hz with native boot, then only booting on '(safe graphics)' option, while native default boot is ok as soon as downgraded to 30hz.

As i saw on reddit & other unix forums that some problems were related to AdlerLake 12thgen intel, may be within i915 or others points.

And as I will receive soon two other Adler Mini-PC, so two other bioses, i will diagnose if it could be my ACE Magician bios that could be buggy ... But note also that a W11 22h2 to GO key gives all the best, leting better think a software problem (in driver made by intel for open world?).

See you later ...

Hello SMP,

Just tried your latest build on a new Adler miniPC, N95 cpu, Ace Magician AD03 one (rebranded from WeiBu Mfg) connected to an external display TV UHD with DV.

Got a problem : your image is not booting (live) when TV edid is set to 2.0, at 60Hz.

Only booting on edid 1.4 TV so only 30Hz,

and no way at all when refreshing ou changing reso on Kodi, which stay wrapped to initial booting 30Hz.

Even when unpluging 1.4 / pluging 2.0. cable, KODI 20 will never refresh the EDID data ans keep 30Hz as limit !!

If at 4K 30Hz I ran successfully AV1 hw decode 17mbps 2160p, max 50% iGP et low CPU, when playing HDR10 or DV videos, no hw acceleration occurs as @ 30hz limit, so very shoppy, unviewable videos....

So my question is about the reason why usb booting on edid 2.0 4k@60 DV external display on miniPC is not functionnal ?

At least, is there an hidden/expert way to refresh an edid reading in Kodi next to switching on TV or via cable ?

Thanks by advance for your attention, and your great job!

Fab233

""Each time i boot from this GLK laptop (KUU K2), with any latest images from SMP (even at least 0830 one), I get correct dual duplicate screen from LibreElec till Kodi 19A starts. But the splash screen goes to only internal display, and no way to detect my HDMI LG OLED (grayed) in System config. So obviously, cannot do any HDR on 1080 laptop screen. But when booting official release without HDR patches/advanced, I can choose my HDMI display and blank the laptop panel.""

Well, I booted laptop with internal display connector disconnected, and KUU K2 has indeed true HDMI2.0 so I confirm I was able to boot & run 8/30 image and play HDR & Atmos passthrough to my LG OLED from a laptop priced 230€!

Now i'm hoping final LE & Kodi will be able in a near future to boot on laptop with Kodi letting choose the display, and if external HDR capable TV, pass HDR stream on it from loal sources...

And later for Kodi in Windows env, ... but intel is still there with their so bad drivers to get our Gemini lake out of their sandbox.

I think intel is actually losing all their future customers, as "legacy" NUC6/NYC7 can run HDR on core with NVM38/NVM33 TBT3 fw (both thru DP alt mode hypervised by TBT controller), and these NUC are only DP1.2a, not 1.3 nor 1.4...

Nice, is'nt it ?

While nVidia & AMD let us do so easy... That is another story.

For now, keep on working on linux sources to get HDR a commun facility .. et many thanks for your work.

smp,

Hi,

next step following mini-PC displaying native TV HDR stream with drmprime :

could be great for a GLK-R laptop to have a kodi19a'version (in prime image) working with multi displays (a HDR TV behind hdmi on a J4115 laptop with it own ipanel that is actually the only display detected), is it possible?

Thx for your hard job, anyway.

Hi again,

Each time i boot from this GLK laptop (KUU K2), with any latest images from SMP (even at least 0830 one), I get correct dual duplicate screen from LibreElec till Kodi 19A starts.

But the splash screen goes to only internal display, and no way to detect my HDMI LG OLED (grayed) in System config. So obviously, cannot do any HDR on 1080 laptop screen.

But when booting official release without HDR patches/advanced, I can choose my HDMI display and blank the laptop panel.

So again SMP, is there a way to boot from a GLK laptop (and not any kind of mini PC) with hdmi2.0 external display ?

I know of course that you are not a developer, only a release builder, but are you aware of that problem and a way to get out ?

Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition

Looks like Windows v19 nightlies now include patches to make it work without having to use external players. Still would prefer to have a *nix based solution.

There is no Prime DRM option to activate on Kodi Player windows config... as opposite of LibreElec on GLK mini PC, meaning no way to get HDR handshake to OLED LG TV....

Do you get HDR video passthrough in your config ? Or only HDR decoding then streaming 4K direct on display ?

Hi, pay attention, not all adapter works for HDR, must be Parade 84xxxx our MC 29xxx, and their fw support DP1.2 for some of our 2-3y old config...

Club3D have also MC 29xxxx chips (2504,1854) and some other perhaps... See attachement chat.

smp,

Hi,

next step following mini-PC displaying native TV HDR stream with drmprime :

could be great for a GLK-R laptop to have a kodi19a'version (in prime image) working with multi displays (a HDR TV behind hdmi on a J4115 laptop with it own ipanel that is actually the only display detected), is it possible?

Thx for your hard job, anyway.

Thx, working fine now.

I also tried that on a laptop, KUU K2, with AMI graphics set to HDMI1 and IGD lcd display set to HDMI, and a OLED LG B9 as sink.

libreELEC OS boot does mirror hdmi LG OLED and internal lcd display, ..... till the start of KODI startup reverting then to only internal display. Finally no chance to set another monitor, all grayed on internal panel in Settings Display.

Of course the K2 internal ips display of laptop cannot be HDR for such cheap J4115 laptop ... Fine laptop anyway...

Could it be another way to have KODI 19A letting choose the display when multi,

or starting with internal but letting access to some external monitor ?

cheers

Great job, smp.

Your 26/1 image runs perfectly on my GLK Beelink (X55 & X45).

NVRAM & bios side effects while testing 24/4 and/or 1/2 kwiboo images, so i lost ALSA AZALIA even with DSP Disabled.

Got fine again after a bios Reset to defaults & rebooting 26/1 live again.

On LG OLED B9 i can play Atmos (upto 5.1 channels) with all my DV/HDR10+ samples (1/2layers) going out with HDR10 then Atmos pop-ups !

So it is pretty amazing to finally get HDR+ATMOS in less than1 hour, in comparison with a month of unsuccessfull struggle inside intel drivers collection (from 6912 first called supporting HDR on FLK, to even this late april all iGPU chips driver)....

Within win20H1 all seems working (such SGX, PAVP, TPM/ME, HDCP22, ...), but I never got "Advanced Color" set in directX diagnostics, neither with os Settings nor Intel RGB/YCbCr Configuration variations appx.

So your job all of you at LibreELEC is a fantastic help for people whose config don't use Nvidia output & drivers for hdmi 2.1 LG TV.

Thx for your PoC, finally a cheap solution unexpected !