Orange Pi 5 RK3588S

• Hello everyone, would you know if you will have Libreelec for this platform?

Raspiberry 4 is very expensive, and this card has an excellent configuration.

Thanks.

• chewitt
    December 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM

^ Same SoC so same answer, there is only minor progress since December. Ask again in six months (or look for a different board).

• With new kernel 6.1 (and even 6.8) development picking up stream as well as many patches and fixes also seemingly being pushed upstream, I was wondering what the general current progress was in respect of the RK3588/s SOC in general.

Just trying to get a baseline, with no unrealistic or unreasonable expectations.

• AFAIK the HDMI code has either been submitted or is close to being submitted, and panthor GPU support is now merged, but hardware video decode codecs are still missing. It'll be usable at 1080p with software decoding. I'm not sure about 4K media.

At this point someone who cares about RK3588 support should probably submit changes to create an LE13 image. I think we'd have no problem with including backports and patches that are iterating on mailing lists, but we wouldn't accept drivers from the vendor codebase uless backed with a commitment from a "known name" developer planning to rework them in the mid-term.

• https://gitlab.collabora.com/hardware-enabl…nline-status.md

AFAIK the HDMI code has either been submitted or is close to being submitted, and panthor GPU support is now merged, but hardware video decode codecs are still missing. It'll be usable at 1080p with software decoding. I'm not sure about 4K media.

At this point someone who cares about RK3588 support should probably submit changes to create an LE13 image. I think we'd have no problem with including backports and patches that are iterating on mailing lists, but we wouldn't accept drivers from the vendor codebase uless backed with a commitment from a "known name" developer planning to rework them in the mid-term.

Thanks for the clarification.

There is one person working on Linux that does seem to show an interest in Kodi, who may perhaps be interested but whether they would be considered a known name I can't know.

But I will make them aware of this thread such that they can make a decision as to whether they wish to approach your team.