Micro SD locked

• In the process of updating my Pi3 to LE11 I encountered a very strange micro SD issue. It's a Samsung 16gb EVO class 10 flavor used for years and for some reason decided to give me a headache today. It was running LE10.2 but would not update to 10.4 let alone LE11. After a few attempts I discovered it was locked. I could read files run LE and all was good. Delete a file ? Sure. Reformat sure. Reboot and nothing changed. Chkdsk reported no errors. Diskpart reported read-only not set. I threw everything at it no files changed. Anyway thought I might share in case any members has issues like this. I rebuilt a new 32 GB Samsung with LE11 without any issues. I've used this brand for years but now rethinking a change. What brand(s) config seem to perform the best?

• I've been using 'SanDisk Extreme' and 'SanDisk Extreme Pro' for quite some time (mostly 64GB) in all devices like phones/tablets/RPi's/....

Used earlier Samsung EVO's but had weird issues (couldn't suddenly delete files or even wipe some of them) so switched over to SanDisk.

• When a SD cards turns out to read-only, usually it means it's gone. Please note the write cycles are limited on such media so even a high quality SD cards can't be expected to live forever if there are daily writes from running OS (and LE can generate writes very quickly in some occassions if you don't tune up the logging options).

The better solution is to avoid using SD cards and switch to HDD connected through USB/SATA adapter instead.