Duplication of channels in PVR display

• A later build of 4.3 on github is helful how?

> Save and continue

This option isn't presented when scanning

> setting it to Active and applying it

Yes.

No, it's not a USB tuner, it's a Hauppaug PCI board.

At this point I am beginning to think I should revert to 4.2 with a reinstall if necessary. Thoughts?

• TVH 4.3 is working fine. Once you’re tuner is correctly configured, you’ve created a DVBS network and added the complete details of at least one active mux on the satellite you are aimed at the remaining muxes will appear and scan. I suggest running the Wizard again and while it’s running click on the Status tab. You’ll be able to see if the scan is actually happening and what signal strength your tuner is displaying.

I only mentioned the fact that the hang up in the Wizard while scanning was resolved purely to highlight that this bug was present in 4.3 at one stage and was addressed. Personally I don’t use the Wizard or predefined muxes. No need as I manually configure everything.

I build my own TVH for a separate server I operate outside of LE. Again up to last nights build everything is functioning fine.

It’s entirely up to you if you want to get 4.3 working or remain with 4.2. I suggest you also post logs to enable us to investigate further. My feeling is an incorrect configuration is being supplied and as a result no valid scan is being performed.

• OK, I'll persist (and thanks so much for your persistence). I don't actually know what the benefits of 4.3 are; I've seen reference to better comskip but that's all and that's not something I've used on Linux (used a plugin on Windows Media Center long ago).

• OK, I'll persist (and thanks so much for your persistence). I don't actually know what the benefits of 4.3 are; I've seen reference to better comskip but that's all and that's not something I've used on Linux (used a plugin on Windows Media Center long ago).

Here’s all the benefits of the various builds made in TVH 4.3 https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend/commits

I’m convinced your configuration is the problem here. What model of Hauppauge PCI card are you using.

From what you’ve mentioned so far there’s no scanning happening at the moment. Remember there’s been a major Linux kernel change made since LE10. Could you post the output of dmesg.

• The board is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2. Dmesg output attached. Also: a mux I defined, copying parameters for one that was successfully set up during an automated scan. No scan was triggered. The status tab shows 1 transport errors and 34 continuity errors, w SNR and signal strength unknown (ditto for the DVB-T tuner for the last two).

• The board is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2. Dmesg output attached. Also: a mux I defined, copying parameters for one that was successfully set up during an automated scan. No scan was triggered. The status tab shows 1 transport errors and 34 continuity errors, w SNR and signal strength unknown (ditto for the DVB-T tuner for the last two).

From what I can see in dmesg you are running in Docker. Is that correct. Firmware seems to be loading correctly and frontend looks ok. Could you post a screen grab of your tuner settings in TVH. It’s definitely pointing to a configuration issue.

Outside of the Docker is anything else using the Hauppauge tuner.

• While you’re trying to figure out the issue try do a side by side configuration comparison between 4.2 and 4.3. You can have both addons installed but only one enabled at a time. This should allow you to rule out any configuration issues between a working version 4.2 and a non working version 4.3. Make sure every setting is identical in 4.3.

• I'll see what I can do but recall that my reason for trying 4.3 was repetition of channels (4 times each) in the EPG, so not quite a "working" 4.2, though at least the mux scan finished.

Meanwhile, here's the mux scan log file (attached) with the halt with 28 to go.

I may have found why the automatic scan didn't work when a mux was configured: the 4 LNB settings were unassigned; rebooting and reinstating as shown in the next attachment at least allowed scanning to resume as before.

• I'll see what I can do but recall that my reason for trying 4.3 was repetition of channels (4 times each) in the EPG, so not quite a "working" 4.2, though at least the mux scan finished.

Meanwhile, here's the mux scan log file (attached) with the halt with 28 to go.

I may have found why the automatic scan didn't work when a mux was configured: the 4 LNB settings were unassigned; rebooting and reinstating as shown in the next attachment at least allowed scanning to resume as before.

As I said it looked like a configuration issue. Is this a single or a multi lnb setup. I noticed the diseq setting is ticked. That would have helped greatly knowing that.

As I said if 4.2 was working in LE11 there’s no reason why 4.3 wouldn’t if configured correctly. Just ensure you replicate the 4.2 configuration when setting up the 4.3 configuration.

Once the configuration is correct adding a single mux as I already outlined will automatically throw up the remaining 69 active transponders and scan them for you. No need for predefined muxes. You’ll probably see your original problem resolved too.

• I may be wrong about the LNB settings. It turns out that once selected they go grey looking unassigned. The LNB is a 4 port model but I don't know for sure which port is connected; I just checked them all, AA, AB, BA and BB (the box only has one DVB-S tuner) and let LE figure it out. Two of the other ports go to TVs and one is unused. I'll check what the config for 4.2 was tomorrow and try specifying one port at a time.

• I may be wrong about the LNB settings. It turns out that once selected they go grey looking unassigned. The LNB is a 4 port model but I don't know for sure which port is connected; I just checked them all, AA, AB, BA and BB (the box only has one DVB-S tuner) and let LE figure it out. Two of the other ports go to TVs and one is unused. I'll check what the config for 4.2 was tomorrow and try specifying one port at a time.

If you have only one cable coming out of the 4 port LNB and your dish is not motorised you don’t need the diseq box checked. You’ll then only have one set of settings to configure. You won’t have those four options to consider. TVH will see that. Your Hauppauge card has only one DVBS input. Single satellite/single input.

Knowing as much as possible about your hardware setup helps to resolve the problem quickly.

• The LNB has 3 ports in use; two to TVs and one to the PVR. I had no idea what Diseq meant and just left it alone (thanks). Will uncheck.

Ok so that’s a simple single LNB setup you have. Adjust your settings to reflect that. Once that’s done you should be able to perform a successful scan and you’ll be able to monitor the scan in the Status tab.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with this TVH document. It will help with configuring your TVH install correctly to reflect your setup

Configure Tvheadend - Tvheadend 4.0

Post back here and let us know your progress. This will be for the benefit of others too.

• So far, as in with previous LE install (years ago; was on 9.2 prior to 11), I just selected 4 port LNB and then verified which of AA, AB, BA and BB was live. That worked. I'd just forgotten about this, also about Diseq (read the docs long ago and haven't needed to since and can ordinarily get by if it's something I've done before, but thanks for the link anyway). Ofc, I needed to select port AB and link to DVB-S Network to get any scanning to work, but that wasn't a problem as 4.3 was scanning ok.

What finally resolved 4.3 not running to completion: removal of 4.2 and associated files.

I had intended to give up on 4.3 and do a clean install of 4.2, but on removal it wasn't immediately obvious how to reinstall it, so I just re-enabled 4.3 and the last stuck scan then finished. Had it not done so I was considering a complete reinstall from scratch.

If I'm not mistaken then simply disabling 4.2 isn't enough if it's already been installed, at least that didn't seem to be the case here.

Many thanks for your help.

• So far, as in with previous LE install (years ago; was on 9.2 prior to 11), I just selected 4 port LNB and then verified which of AA, AB, BA and BB was live. That worked. I'd just forgotten about this, also about Diseq (read the docs long ago and haven't needed to since and can ordinarily get by if it's something I've done before, but thanks for the link anyway). Ofc, I needed to select port AB and link to DVB-S Network to get any scanning to work, but that wasn't a problem as 4.3 was scanning ok.

What finally resolved 4.3 not running to completion: removal of 4.2 and associated files.

I had intended to give up on 4.3 and do a clean install of 4.2, but on removal it wasn't immediately obvious how to reinstall it, so I just re-enabled 4.3 and the last stuck scan then finished. Had it not done so I was considering a complete reinstall from scratch.

If I'm not mistaken then simply disabling 4.2 isn't enough if it's already been installed, at least that didn't seem to be the case here.

Many thanks for your help.

You can have as many instances of TVH installed as you like as long as they don’t reside in the same folder and only one is active at any given time.

Incomplete or incorrectly configured instances of TVH can cause weird behaviour with your system. You can now see that TVH 4.3 is functioning correctly as I originally stated.

I included the link for documentation purely as I didn’t know your level of experience with TVH. While the Wizard is useful for a quick setup or beginners manual configuration gives you a far more precise configuration of your system if it’s followed logically and completely. One example of this is not having to scan a list of predefined muxes which is basically out of date anyway.

It might be useful for future reference to supply as much information as possible regarding your hardware setup. It really does help with the troubleshooting process.

I assume you have now resolved your original issue with multiple instances of channels.

• Understood. Prior to removing 4.2 I only enabled and disabled one or other of 4.2 and 4.3 (only one enabled at a time); didn't change any folder or other settings; used the Kodi/LE front end only for managing.

No, unfortunately, I'm still seeing multiple listings for channels with v4.3. And have rediscovered that choosing a 4 port LNB option is required (no result from choosing a universal LNB).

No worries, I wasn't offended by being pointed to the docs. I last read them when I installed LE 9.2. Apologies for not having given fuller information from the start and thanks again for your patient efforts to help resolve the issue.

• Understood. Prior to removing 4.2 I only enabled and disabled one or other of 4.2 and 4.3 (only one enabled at a time); didn't change any folder or other settings; used the Kodi/LE front end only for managing.

No, unfortunately, I'm still seeing multiple listings for channels with v4.3. And have rediscovered that choosing a 4 port LNB option is required (no result from choosing a universal LNB).

No worries, I wasn't offended by being pointed to the docs. I last read them when I installed LE 9.2. Apologies for not having given fuller information from the start and thanks again for your patient efforts to help resolve the issue.

You mentioned in your OP that you were advised to use bouquets. What information was this advice based on.