Remote share mount prevents NAS HD from spinning down?

• I recently mounted some folders from my Qnap TS-219 to my LibreELEC 10.0.4 filesystem on RPi 4 using this guide. I mounted both NFS and SMB.

After doing this it seems my NAS HD doesn't spin down at all, or at least very seldom, compared to before. I have set up the NAS HD to spin down after 30 mins of inactivity. Earlier I only had access to the NAS via normal "sources/shares" method (i.e. without mounting) in LibreELEC.

Before investigating this more closely on the NAS side, I would like to know if this is a known behaviour with mounted shares and can something be done to let LibreELEC allow the NAS to spin down the HD, while maintaining network share mounts?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I am not an expert but I think that what you want is not possible, the operating system needs to periodically check the mounted directory. All my drives are managed by my LibreELEC server and I have solved your problem as follows:

(1) Client devices with coreelec and libreelec use remote directories mounted on an SSD drive managed by the LibreELEC server, that is, spinning down is not needed because this drive always works.

(2) Access to large storage units is executed without mounting any remote unit: from Kodi on remote devices (media library access with read-only access), or by LibreELEC when running timed tasks (backup, ...) or when a task is completed (storage of new multimedia content).

In these conditions the spinning down works normally.

Think something similar!

• If you locally mount remote drives the OS is frequently doing something in the background which generates activity and the drives will rarely spin down (and this is not controllable). If you use the SMB/NFS client built into Kodi you might run into client timeout issues (something that can be fine-tuned in advancedsettings.xml) but Kodi shouldn't be accessing the NAS unless scraping or playing and the drives should spin down more frequently. In short; from your description you're doing the former, so it's an expected behaviour.