Successor to my Odroid C2

• Hello,

I have 2x Odroid C2 in use here, they are older and one also has a wobble on the HDMI socket. Now I am thinking about successors. An N2+ or something else. What would you recommend? They serve purely as output devices for Kodi.

• Raspberry Pi 4 has the best support, but its hard to find/or expensive. I have had great success with Orange Pi 3 LTS, its cheap and available, has built in eMMC and plays everything just as well (imho) as the rpi4. Only thing with the OPI3 is that it won't have wifi support on LE. Either way you would want to get heatsinks/fan for either one. That giant heatsink that comes with the N2 is a nice feature.

• I don't need Wi-Fi, so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, the N2 is something fine in itself, there are also nice housings for it. That's why my thoughts have been in this direction so far.

• LE support for N2 is a little basic but will work if your media needs are simple (8-bit H264/HEVC and 1080p max) which might well be the case if you're coming from a C2 board (see the release notes for LE11b2 for details). CE will be a better option on N2 for feature-completeness until upstream support progresses; but note their direction is already moving on from the codebase that N2 requires (to something incompatible). In that sense some of the Allwinner and Rockchip boards are more long-term supportable since the codebase is already upstream (or headed firmly in that direction). They're often a bit cheaper too.