Install locks at Boot: - HP 260 mini

• Hi, I am trying to install to a USB stick on an HP 260 G2 mini. However the install locks-up at the "Boot:" prompt. I have tried a couple of different memory sticks and using both the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator and Rufus to create the bootable USB stick but same issue with both. ISO image is: LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.4.img.gz.

Any suggestions?

Edited 2 times, last by NickC (February 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM).

• You might need to fiddle with BIOS settings to enable legacy mode (not EFI, although we do support EFI boot). Worst case; pull the drive and connect it to a desktop and write the LE image direct to the HDD/SSD. Then interrupt boot and type "run" to skip the normal installer process and run LE from the install media (which is the internal drive). Variations on that theme include connecting the drive to another machine and booting installing to the drive on that machine before moving the drive back to the HP box.

• You might need to fiddle with BIOS settings to enable legacy mode (not EFI, although we do support EFI boot). Worst case; pull the drive and connect it to a desktop and write the LE image direct to the HDD/SSD. Then interrupt boot and type "run" to skip the normal installer process and run LE from the install media (which is the internal drive). Variations on that theme include connecting the drive to another machine and booting installing to the drive on that machine before moving the drive back to the HP box.

Tried legacy mode and that locks-up at the same point. I'm actuially trying to install it to USB drive as only space for one internal drive and that has Win-10 on it. From what you have said I will first try installing to the USB stick on another computer and then moving it.

• It's also worthwhile to see if you can use an Ubuntu LiveUSB to boot the box. If yes, the BIOS has no problem with Grub and you could always install Grub to a USB stick and then do a manual install. All our installer does to the target device is install the bootloader, create two GPT partitions; first is 512MB to hold KERNEL/SYSTEM and the bootloader config file, and second is remaining space on the drive. The config file just needs to set (in grub format) the boot= and disk= content (using /dev/device, label or GUID as you like).

• Now got it working. Using version 10.95 (beta) rather than the 10.04 (stable) which didn't work.

Only question is as I am running from USB memory stick is there any way I can set the default storage to a partition on the HDD.

• Create space for the partition and format it as EXT4 (must be a Linux partition type for SSH to work). Note the /dev/sdX device details for it under Linux and then modify boot params in syslinux.cfg to use disk=/dev/sdX .. then reboot. Kodi will start out with a clean install.

• Create space for the partition and format it as EXT4 (must be a Linux partition type for SSH to work). Note the /dev/sdX device details for it under Linux and then modify boot params in syslinux.cfg to use disk=/dev/sdX .. then reboot. Kodi will start out with a clean install.

Can this be done from LibreElec or do I need a Linux bootable USB to do this?

• If I have read correctly I need to install System Tools from the LibreElec repo to do this. Unfortunately that install fails, no error messages just Installation Failed message.

Any suggestions where I can go from here.

• Any suggestions where I can go from here.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • To be precise, you have two options:

a) SSH login from another PC

1. find the IP of your LE device by using your router menu
    2. open a terminal on another PC, and type ssh root@<IP_OF_YOUR_LE_DEVICE> to connect to your LE device
    3. use the default password "libreelec" to finish the login
    4. to end your SSH session, just use the "exit" command

b) Use an LE terminal add-on

1. download the "System Tools" add-on
    2. start the "Terminal" app
  • Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link

Logs pasted to http://ix.io/4pad