Weird thumbnail folder issue

• I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before as I am not sure why it started or how. When I scan my NAS on startup and Kodi looks for shows, it ends up adding multiple .@__thumb files in the Movies and or TV section of random shows/movies. So then it looks like I have 6 of the same file because it creates 5 more, when in reality I only have one. When it does this with TV shows, I have no idea which one the real file is until I select each one and wait for it to play. When it doesn't play, I delete that file.

I think it is coming from this .@__thumb folder as seen on the file manager picture of my NAS, but when I actually look on the actual NAS, that folder doesn't exist. I even have show hidden folders selected on my NAS.

I think I can solve this somehow by getting rid of that folder, but I can't seem to find it.

If you look at my NAS screenshot, you can see there is no .@__thumb folder. But if you look at the screenshot of the file manager picture, it's there.

When I actually delete the files from Kodi, they look like this...

nfs://http://192.xxx.x.xx/Multimedia/TV/(name of show)/.@__thumb/s800episodename.mkv

nfs://http://192.xxx.x.xx/Multimedia/TV/(name of show)/.@__thumb/s100episodename.mkv

nfs://http://192.xxx.x.xx/Multimedia/TV/(name of show)/.@__thumb/defaultepisodename.mkv

nfs://http://192.xxx.x.xx/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/TV/(name of show)/.@__thumb/s800episodename.mkv

nfs://http://192.xxx.x.xx/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/TV/(name of show)/.@__thumb/s100episodename.mkv

So I get 5 of these files along with the 1 real file because it's an .mkv extension. I'll then manually delete each one above when I find the real one. I just don't know why it's creating those and how to solve it. I was thinking scraper issue, but since there's a folder, that might not be the issue. Well, except that the scraper is seeing that folder and creating those files that don't exist.

I was going to do a fresh install since it does this every time I scan, but before I did, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, and hopefully the above makes some sense. I am running LE 11 Nightlies.

• QNAP NAS? .. Google throws up lots of QNAP related hits for these filenames and several solutions for how to disable them (on the NAS) and then do some cleanup (on the NAS). ISTR there's something similar that happens on Synology too when the Photostation app is installed (now banished from mine).

• Yep, QNAP TS-212 NAS. I'll try and search again. I tried searching .@__thumbs a few times and came up with nothing, but I'll try some variations. It's driving me nuts. I have like 90 files in one TV section. At one point it was creating a thumbnail for every movie but was just creating this so called "tom thumb" thumbnail in my movies section and I had no idea what the files were until manually deleting them. And they had the same file layout as above.

Looked like this...

• Code
    find /path/to/share -type d -name '.@__thumb' | while read ITEM; do rm -rf "${ITEM}"; done

From a quick read it's the DLNA photo sharing features on the QNAP that creates them, so this needs to be disabled for the content/media folders you share to Kodi. Then you can run ^ that (on the QNAP) to exorcise the existing thumbs. Then you can either clean the current Kodi DB or start over and scrape again.

• Thanks for the code. I happened to come across that code in a qnap forum, but I have never used Putty or SSH, so I am trying to figure out how to do that first and if I am typing the above exactly or what. I tried another option of trying to find it through Total Commander as someone else said they were able to do, but no luck. I have disabled the appropriate stuff in Qfinder, so no new stuff is generated, but getting rid of the current stuff is my issue. I am a newbie with SSH.

One thing I don't understand is I have never had this issue until about a week ago, so I have no idea what caused it to just start happening.

I did try the code above as seen in the following Putty. I've SSH'd into my NAS then copied the code. I have no idea if it took or not because again I'm new to SSH and am not sure what tells me if the command worked or didn't work. It does say no such file or directory, but I did read that may be normal and perfectly fine.

I also tried this command I found as well.

rm -rf /share/Qmultimedia/*/.@__thumb
    rm -rf /share/Qmultimedia/*/*/.@__thumb
    rm -rf /share/Qmultimedia/*/*/*/.@__thumb
    rm -rf /share/Qmultimedia/*/*/*/*/.@__thumb
    rm -rf /share/Qmultimedia/*/*/*/*/*/.@__thumb

Again, pasted it into Putty, hit enter and again no idea if it took or not as it doesn't say anything.

I do still see the @__thumb folder under file manager in Kodi, so both commands probably didn't work.

If I can't figure out this SSH stuff I may try to just create a new folder in my NAS like "Multimedia Stuff" then copy everything over to that folder, delete "Multimedia" and then re-scan. Would be much more time consuming, but I am having no luck with this @__thumb nonsense that's already there.

• You need to replace /path/to/share with the path to your media share or maybe even just / (the root of the filesystem) and then it will crawl the entire box. The find command will run recurrsively so it's the easier one to use.