WiFi issues after replacing wifi card

• Hi all, I am running libreelec generic 10.0.4. I just replaced my Intel 3165NGW WiFi/BT card with an Intel AX201NGW (or could be 9560NGW). Now I don't have WiFi or BT available. I suspect it's a firmware issue, but not sure which firmware to use or how to apply it, I tried adding some ucode files from an AX200 card with no luck. Any step by step instructions on how I can get it working? Thanks!

Edited once, last by Blueman (February 9, 2023 at 7:54 AM).

• Start with an update to 10.95.1 and check again.

Thanks, I just updated to 10.95.1 but it is still only showing wired network under connections (no wireless) and Bluetooth says disabled. Any other suggestions or steps to troubleshoot?

• If the issue was firmware I would expect to see errors when the hardware probes and fails to find/load the right firmware. However I don't see any mention of anything related to WiFi/BT at all which suggests the hardware isn't probed/detected at all. I'd go (re)check the card is seated correctly - is it detected/shown anywhere in the BIOS (if the BIOS is sophisticated, often they are dumb). Or perhaps the card is bad? / can you test it in anything else?

• If the issue was firmware I would expect to see errors when the hardware probes and fails to find/load the right firmware. However I don't see any mention of anything related to WiFi/BT at all which suggests the hardware isn't probed/detected at all. I'd go (re)check the card is seated correctly - is it detected/shown anywhere in the BIOS (if the BIOS is sophisticated, often they are dumb). Or perhaps the card is bad? / can you test it in anything else?

Thanks for the help. I'll put the old card back in for now and test this one somewhere else another time.

I've since installed the original card and have wifi again, however libreelec keeps restarting randomly and I'm not getting picture on some live TV channels (audio works) that used to work. I'm thinking it could be related to the upgrade from 10.0.4 to 10.95.0? Is there any clues in the log file of what might be causing the restarts? http://ix.io/4nBR

• I've since installed the original card and have wifi again, however libreelec keeps restarting randomly and I'm not getting picture on some live TV channels (audio works) that used to work. I'm thinking it could be related to the upgrade from 10.0.4 to 10.95.0? Is there any clues in the log file of what might be causing the restarts? http://ix.io/4nBR

Hi,

First... before any upgrade... BACKUP! It's took a few minutes, but sometimes save for you hours of reinstalling everything.

About LE11 beta, if you already upgraded to LE11, try the latest LE11 nightly, that first LE11 beta (the 10.95.0, the 10.95.1 what is in the chewitt's post, I think isn't released yet) have some issues with live TV.

And about the wifi card, you didn't mention your hardware, perhaps you can try to run an live-linux from usb (Ubuntu iso written to USB-stick) to verify if the suspected card is working or not.

• Hi,

First... before any upgrade... BACKUP! It's took a few minutes, but sometimes save for you hours of reinstalling everything.

About LE11 beta, if you already upgraded to LE11, try the latest LE11 nightly, that first LE11 beta (the 10.95.0, the 10.95.1 what is in the chewitt's post, I think isn't released yet) have some issues with live TV.

And about the wifi card, you didn't mention your hardware, perhaps you can try to run an live-linux from usb (Ubuntu iso written to USB-stick) to verify if the suspected card is working or not.

Thanks for the advice. When I go to nightly downloads, do I want the 10.0 nightlies or the 11.0 nightlies to update my version from 10.95.0? I'm a little confused about the naming sstructure and which I'm currently on!

• Thanks for the advice. When I go to nightly downloads, do I want the 10.0 nightlies or the 11.0 nightlies to update my version from 10.95.0? I'm a little confused about the naming sstructure and which I'm currently on!

I don't know if you can return (downgrade) to the LE10 without problems. To move from LE11 beta (10.95.0) to nightly it's working, at least I didn't had any problem with that. I copied the LE11 nightly package to the /storage/.update/ folder and reboot. I have 3 RPi3, two with LE11 nightly (LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20230208), one remains yet with LE 10.0.4, I didn't seen any significant difference as normal user.

• The core OS will downgrade without problems, but Kodi does not support downgrades so you'll end up with a bunch of add-ons at a higher and incompatible version and that can often have crashy consequences. Things like DB content will be fine as Kodi simply uses the older DB files that still on disk (or tables in MariaDB) and ignores the newer ones that correspond to new Kodi version.

Crossgrades between release and nightly versions are generally okay as long as Kodi API versions haven't changed. At this stage of the cycle things are stable on that front so it won't be an issue. If we're still in the pre-Alpha stages there are API bumps and that will cause issues from time to time.