Update file is in /storage/.update but upon reboot nothing happens

• Hello folks, RPi3 owner here

I used Berryboot to install LibreElec, never heard of the distro until I noticed it was an option in the OS selection screen.

Upon installation of it, LibreElec informed me there is an update waiting for it. I checked the about screen, and it says current version is 7.0.1. I go into the LibreElec section, and find a place to check for updates. It finds 7.0.2 and downloads the file over my wifi, then the system goes black and reboots, I assume as part of the upgrade process. Only problem is, upon bootup, nothing changes.

Still very visibly shows 7.0.1 in all logs. Shows 7.0.1 in KODI about screen. And KODI still informs me it needs an update.

I ssh into the machine and find that /storage/.update contains the file:

What's the deal? Has anyone ever seen it simply refuse to process the update and give zero output anywhere?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. novice user here.

Thanks for reading, cheers!

Edited once, last by rolex (November 24, 2016 at 1:02 AM).

• RPi3 owner here

Updates for a RPI-2 or 3 usually reflect in the update file's name, and yours "seems" to be an update for a RPi-1 ?!?

IMHO, if you use LibreELEC as the sole OS/Application on your Raspberry, forget about Berryboot. A direct installation of LE is much easier for processing updates.

• It finds 7.0.2 and downloads the file over my wifi, then the system goes black and reboots, I assume as part of the upgrade process. Only problem is, upon bootup, nothing changes.

If the file in the screenshot is the one downloaded by the LE settings add-on you are the owner of an RPI1. If not, don't upgrade with it.

As for nothing happening, yes that's because you are using a third party boot manager (Berryboot in this case). This prevents LE from updating itself.

• Whatever file is in /storage/.update wasn't downloaded by me, but is a result of whatever LibreElec 7.0.1 "auto updated" or I should say "auto downloaded" from within the GUI

So it sounds like my problem, even if it WAS the correct RPi3 file, is the fact that Berryboot is installed, which prevents LE from auto-updating?

I can ditch Berryboot if I have to, but, why?

It is a very useful tool for dual or even triple booting.. But I will, if I have to. Just looking for a bit of a reason on why on earth Berryboot could possibly interfere?

Cheers and thanks so much for the help guys, looking forward to correcting the update today and giving LE a shot