NUC6CAYH (Apollo Lake), NUC7CJYH (Gemini Lake) or raspberry pi 4?

• Hi All

I'm currently using a DN2820 Bay Trail NUC, with 2GB ram and a 30GB SSD for libreelec 9. It has served me very well. I use it through an AV receiver into a 1080p Plasma. I only use it for local playback from a server connected via ethernet. More recently ive tried it with emulators using the IAGL. Mixed results, though due to issues with the emulator setups, when it works, it works fine. i havent had a lot of time to fiddle with it.

Anyway, H 265/HEVC playback is sometimes a bit choppy, so i thought is about time i upgrade the nuc with something that properly handles HEVC, and that can do 4k, as and when the plasma breaks down and needs replacing.

Ive got a NUC 5i5RYK not being used, but i dont think that decodes HEVC either. i could sell that on and use the cash towards something new.

Looking around, i can get a NUC6CAYH, the Apollo lake nuc for pretty cheap used, with, say 4GB ram and an SSD thrown in. Ive seen them sell for £75-£80

I could repurpose the 2820 in the bedroom upstairs, or sell it on and get another newer NUC.

By the time ive bought a new RP4, PSU, CASE, IR receiver, storage etc, it wont be any cheaper than a used NUC6. a quick look at used prices for RP4, are more than new? suggests RP4s are out of stock... i havent really looked into it.

Getting a used NUC7CJYH instead probably wouldnt cost me much more. if i'm patient. The NUC7 looks like it might handle 4k better? ive seen them sell for £75-£90 ish

The NUC7 is still available new, at around £120. Id need some RAM and an SSD, but if i did that, id also consider the new NUC11ATKC2 which is the same price. Newer hardware, so might be more future proof regarding HDR (though personally i dont see what all the fuss is about for HDR).

So.... I know where i am with NUCs, and ive had a lot of luck with them. But is there any benefit in going for the RP4 instead?

23.976 fps playback is key. Playing nice with the AVR is also important, though if i replace the TV, i'd likely go straight to the TV and ARC back to the AV receiver. I use bluetooth for my arcade stick for the emulators.

What do you guys think?

thanks

• If you need/want HDR support then the RPi4 is probably the best option.

I'm a Gemini Lake user with a ASRock J4105-ITX, and its great with the exception of HDR. Supposedly its capable of HDR but the drivers are lacking, there are beta builds floating around on the forums for HDR, but at this stage no idea when it'll make it into a stable release.

• hint (in case you want to run windows on the nuc in some years):

from time to time Intel declares their hardware as unsupported and immediately removes the support pages (Windows driver !)

• hint (in case you want to run windows on the nuc in some years):

from time to time Intel declares their hardware as unsupported and immediately removes the support pages (Windows driver !)

Thats a bit stupid. Thanks for the advice.

x86 build with HDR support is here (build updated a couple of weeks ago) - LE11 HDR builds for Intel and AMD

It's what I used as my daily driver on Gemini Lake N5000. No stability issues as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the info

Edited once, last by Champ222: Merged a post created by Champ222 into this post. (August 26, 2022 at 5:16 PM).