Hi res audio spdif

• Greetings,

New member seeking some knowledge.

I’ve been playing around with amlogic coreelec and I’m certain amlogic chipsets can’t achieve 24bit audio.

My question for this kind community is if I were to run libreelec with an Allwinner H6 device such as the Beelink GS1, would all sample rates for audio be available? For example, 16 and 24 bit, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz... via spdif (my receiver only takes spdif).

Many thanks for your input.

Chris

• This is very unlikely, because consumer audio is usually just 16 bit. I suggest to buy an HDMI audio extractor with 24 bit support.

Remember, CD quality is 16 bit / 44.1kHz. If you can hear a difference on 24 bit / 192kHz, then you have special ears. :P

• Thanks for the input. I don’t think it’s about having special ears, it’s just how much information can be delivered per second.

I have many albums in 44.1 24bit and they are hands down amazing in sound compared to the resampled 16bit releases. Playing them on an ancient intel device to my receiver via spdif. Shame amlogic sounds flat, why I think the hardware is limiting to 16 even when the drivers pass on 24. I have a seperate digital recorder that shows bit depth being passed on too which reports 16 on 24 bit lpcm. It’s very obvious to me. Shame it seems intel is the only route.

Thanks all.

Chris

• There is more than Intel. Click my link, and you will see that RPi4 + HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro is an S/PDIF setup!

I have since went this route and I’m very impressed with the setup. May I ask, there are two outputs for the digi2+ using the latest image of LE. Does it matter which to select? Is it clock related because there are two clocks on this hat to take care of 44.1khz multiples and 48khz multiples. Or is it because there are two digi overlays?

Little confused, thanks again for the recommendation!