Crash after scrolling many (larger) pictures

• Hi,

I'm running LibreELEC 10 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B. When scrolling through a big picture collection (e.g. Album covers in the Music folder), LE hangs and then crashes/reboots.

After some web search I've meddled with the parameters "gpu_mem=192" and "dtoverlay=cma,cma-384" in /flash/config.txt, which seems to improve the situation, but does not solve the issue completely.

As I don't have a clue what I'm doing here: what are the "correct" values?

TIA,

Oliver

• Go to Best Answer
  • Keep gpu_mem at 76, setting it higher only wastes memory.

You could try reducing cma to 384 (as you did), but the problem seems to be that kodi is caching too many pictures and if they are large it runs out of memory at some point...

so long,

Hias

• If you provide a log, then we could get a proof for bad caching implementation, and Kodi team hopefully reacts:

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • If you provide a log, then we could get a proof for bad caching implementation, and Kodi team hopefully reacts:

I think this behaviour has already been documented by other people on the web.

Anyway, while trying to paste the log I noticed that "pastekodi" does not produce any link. "pastekodi -c" does indeed show the crash log incl. segfault. Pasting the logs from the GUI failed, too.

I can't paste KODI.log manually, as it exceeds the size limit of pastebin.com with 3.2 MB

Here's the journal log with the segfault:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Regards,

Oliver

• Sometimes it takes a while until pastekodi creates a link, but it also could be a server error during the upload. However, the CMA error is visible at the current log:

Code
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: [drm:vc4_bo_create] *ERROR* Failed to allocate from CMA:
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: vc4-drm soc:gpu: [drm]                            V3D: 287868kb BOs (281)
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: vc4-drm soc:gpu: [drm]                     V3D shader:     44kb BOs (11)
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: vc4-drm soc:gpu: [drm]                           dumb:   4052kb BOs (1)
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: vc4-drm soc:gpu: [drm]                         binner:  16384kb BOs (1)
    Jun 23 20:17:15 pan kernel: vc4-drm soc:gpu: [drm]                total purged BO: 240528kb BOs (235)
  • Please try with stock config.txt (i.e gpu_mem=76 and no cma dtoverlay) - the log indicates you are running out of CMA memory, so 394 isn't enough.

Please post another log with stock settings if it fails.

so long,

Hias

• To repeat the already stated facts: meddling with the a.m. values was a result of crashes with the stock configuration - not the other way around. Reverting to original values makes the situation worse, KODI crashes after shorter times/less entries scrolled.

Here is the current journal.log:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here the altered config.txt:

Oliver

• Do you have an advancedsettings.xml file and have changed imageres , fanartres or other settings? If yes, remove your advancedsettings.xml file and test again.

so long,

Hias

• This was my advancedsettings.xml:

Removed it, rebooted. Trying to scroll through my albums: crash after entry 76...

Regards,

Oliver

• You could try increasing cma size further to 448 or 512 (the latter is used on RPi4 by default, but it could be problematic with only 1GB RAM).

It might also be worth to try a full clean installation on a separate SD card (without any further addons, skins etc) - it could also be related to some addon or setting you changed.

We'll need a full pastecrash log to give further advice (non-debug log might already help and cut size down, but debug log would be preferred of course).

so long,

Hias

• The easy part: After increasing cma size to 448 I can scroll all of my album covers (>1600) without crash.

LE still crashes, when trying to access photos on my NAS (to be precise: directory with 178 photos@24 MPixel, each jpg around 4 MB)

I'll try to find a spare micro SD...

Oliver

• If you still have issues with LE11 nightly, then it's time to post a report at Kodi forum (not sure whether it's a known bug). A caching algorithm for picture scrolling should be implemented.

• Rebooted into a clean LE 10 install. Attached my Music-SMB share, populated the database and scrolled my Albums: no crash.

Connected the image folder (s. above): crash after scrolling a few pictures.

I'll try to get a full log, but Kodi is heavily used in the evenings...

Oliver

• Using LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20220701-10d897b.img I can provoke a crash by accessing my picture folder (I haven't tested scrolling through my album covers as populating the database is a bit time consuming).

Logs: http://ix.io/41od

I've overwritten my spare SD card with "dd". Is this what you meant with "different" SD card, or do you really mean a physically different one?

Regards,

Oliver

• Pletse post the crash log (using "pastecrash" or the crash log file uploader in LE settings). The log you uploaded only contains kodi log after it was restarted.

so long,

Hias