no sound on ripped DVD

• Hello,

i'm not sure if this is the right forum.

I've got LE generic version 10.0.2 and want to archive some DVD's.

After ripping with makmkv, i can watch the movie on the computer i ripped the DVD (LinuxMint)

after copying the file to the Synology NAS (where the TVHeadend Server is running and my recordings are saved) I want to watch on Kodi, the movie starts but I can't get sound, I can switch the audio track, but no success.

some self-generated DVD's from old recordings are no problem.

do you have any hints where to look?

If it's just a copyright-problem, and this is not possible and not legal, than ok, sorry for asking

Edited once, last by koarli: additional Info (May 24, 2022 at 7:02 PM).

• If you're able to play other media with audio? .. it's something specific to that file and I'd suggest using "mediainfo" to find out what codecs are needed to play the audio back (maybe some exotic thing or Kodi binary-addon is needed). If you're unable to get audio with other files, then it's something to do with audio configuration (wrong output device or such).

• thank you,

just for info: I use LE/Kodi for Live TV (TVHeadend) whatching Mediatheks, some older recordings without problems.

Now I ripped 3 self generated DVD's, they are ok, and 5 buyed DVD's, there's no sound. no specific movies: german, us, uk.

ah, maybe another hint: after the problem I tried to play the DVD on the Kodi Device (I guess the first time after update to 10.xx) there is also no sound

is mediainfo an addon for kodi?

• I've editet one of the Movies with Handbrake with only the german audio track, now it's ok:

original

=====================================================

Video

Codec 4CC: MPEG

Auflösung: 720 x 576

Seitenverhältnis: PAL 16:9 (64:45)

Bildrate: 25,000 fps

Gesamtdauer: 01:37:03,720

Zusätzliche Video-Eigenschaften

ExtraData-Länge: 98

Extra data: 00 00 01 B3 2D 02 40 33 12 CC

Audio (2 aktive Tonspuren)

Codec: AC3

Kanäle: 6

Bitrate: 56000 Bps / 448 kbps

Abtastrate: 48000 Hz

Gesamtdauer: 01:37:03,368

with Handbrake:

Video

Codec 4CC: AVC1

Auflösung: 720 x 552

Seitenverhältnis: PAL 16:9 (64:45)

Bildrate: 25,000 fps

Gesamtdauer: 01:37:03,720

Zusätzliche Video-Eigenschaften

ExtraData-Länge: 48

Extra data: 01 4D 40 28 FF E1 00 20 67 4D

Audio (1 aktive Tonspur)

Codec: AAC

Kanäle: Stereo

Bitrate: 20023 Bps / 160 kbps

Abtastrate: 48000 Hz

Gesamtdauer: 01:37:03,381

now I will try to rip the DVD again with only one audio track, maybe this makes a difference

• The original has 6x Channel AC3 audio while the rerip has 2x Channel AAC. Not all AVRs/TVs support AC3 audio tracks, so my hunch is that you have that enabled in Kodi pass-through settings and a receiving device that doesn't support it - hence when you swap audio tracks (that are not AC3) they play, and when you play other content (which is not AC3) it plays, and the rerips (which are not AC3) play. If you disable Kodi AC3 support those tracks will be remixed to multi-channel PCM for output.

• after some rip's I with different audio settings, i've got to treat every dvd different, not fine.

the best audio setting is 2 channel stereo AAC, but now i've nearly have all DVD's on the NAS, it was very time consuming