LibCurl FTPS is attempting to use SSLv3 and failing connections

• I am trying to make an FTPS connection to a server of mine running filezilla server. Its set to require explicit FTPS (min TLS v1.2) and has a public wildcard certificate (issued by major public CA). This configuration is tested working from various FTPS clients at different locations. Should probably say that I'm a network/infrastructure guy and configure servers/networks/certificates all day long. The FTPS server is good.

However adding an FTPS connection within the Kodi interface does not work. It cannot make a connection. Upon investigation heres what the client kodi logs and the filezilla server logs show. IP's/Domains changed for privacy of course.

This is the line of concern:

Code
    TEXT: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number

From my research, it appears this Curl FTPS library is having a hard time dealing with TLS 1.2 or above and actually looks like its trying to use SSLv3, which of course will fail.

Any ideas?

• Full log:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just stumbled across this.

https://everything.curl.dev/ftp/ftps

I wonder if this is what is happening. My FTP server is configured for Explicit TLS rather than Implicit (since its deprecated in filezilla server) and that CURL doc says the correct way to handle Explicit FTPS is to use ftp:// and NOT ftps://, but then to add the "--ssl-reqd" flag on the curl command.

I guess that flag can't be added to the URL in KODI? How about adding |AUTH=tls instead? So ftp://user:pass@http://ftp.myftp.com/Movies|AUTH=tls

• ftps:// is FTP over SSL and you are trying to connect to ftp server with starttls extension support.

if you select to use FTP with Starttls, nothing stops you from providing FTP over SSL to maximize client base. Those services do not conflict with each other.

If you want to secure and keep it simple, use SFTP. It needs just one port.

Edited once, last by tokul (April 26, 2022 at 4:58 PM).