SD Creator not working in W7

• OK I know W7 is out of date but is there a reason why SD creator will no longer even open, no error message or anything in W7?

I downloaded the latest version to try with an SSD bought to boot the RPi4 from. It will recognise USB memory sticks, SD cards but not an SSD. This may be as design but surprises me.

Edited once, last by LybsterKodi (April 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM).

• OK I know W7 is out of date but is there a reason why SD creator will no longer even open, no error message or anything in W7?

Win7 is no longer supported. Given the quantity of security issues in it now we'd strongly advise you update it to Win10 (which is free IIRC).

• OK I accept that W7 is not supported. Out of interest what fabulous new features from W10 have been used to mean that it doesn't run on W7? I have software developed this year that will run all the way back to XP (the oldest version I still have disks for).

On the issue of free W10 may be but all the stuff I'd have to upgrade isn't - a few thousand GPB there!

• No idea, we will be using somewhat default Qt options and if there's a change it will be something Qt releated. Nobody on the project staff has much of a clue about Qt - which is why it's taken 2.5 years to respin an updated version of the app. If you can find someone with Qt skills who can take our sources and tell us explicitly what's wrong and needed to support Win7 (without breaking everything else) we'll re-add support. Anything that involves project staff needing to skill up on Qt to fix it won't happen (see prevous 2.5 years comment) and there's a lot more fun, interesting and needed things to do around the project.