Possibilities to reuse and update VERY OLD HTPC for 4K video playback

• Hi

I have been using LibreELEC for years, but only with 1080 movies.

I got a 4K TV and would like to update my HTPC if possible.

Current setup:

- Intel I3 2100 CPU/GPU ( I know, very old. But it is stable)

- Panasonic 65JX1000 TV

- Denon AVR 2808 surround receiver (NOT 4K ready)

My idea is this:

Add new GPU to make 4K playback possible. To me it sounds like a Radeon RX 5xx is best solution. Maybe RX 4xx is also OK.

Use new GPU to connect to TV for video.

Use internal GPU to connect to receiver for audio with passthrough.

Is it possible to split audio/video on 2 GPUs ?

I am not sure if it will play back 4K video, but if GPU decodes HEVC I think it is possible.

I would like to keep the Denon if possible, as it does exactly what I need, DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Maybe someone has tried something similar before.

Hit me with your great ideas 🙂

• I think the A/V split into i-GPU / e-GPU will not work. Better get a sound card with TOSLINK for audio.

Ok. Thank you.

I read some different things about splitting audio and video, sound like it works sometimes and sometimes not, but it was on previous LE versions. I hoped it was working in LE 10.

Toslink does not do DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD as far as I know.

• An HDMI splitter might be an option, I use one with an older HDMI 1.4b AVR.

Might be only solution.

But can you output 4K signal on one HDMI output and only the Audio on the other HDMI on the splitter?

I haven't seen splitters that can do that.

Which one do you use?

Actually the most inexpensive solution might be to buy a Nvidia Shield and a HDMI splitter...

• Getting an RPi 4 is probably better than upgrading the HTPC. It has two microHDMI ports, where one can be used for audio only.

PS: You can also buy a graphics card with two HDMI ports. Compare graphics card prices to RPi 4.

• Might be only solution.

But can you output 4K signal on one HDMI output and only the Audio on the other HDMI on the splitter?

The EZCOO splitter I linked to works fine. I've got 4k60 HDR out to my TV, and am bit streaming DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD to my soundbar. You lose ARC is the only downside.