Addon Settings Notifications

• I have a simple addon that I'm building that essentially installs a case fan installer that I made, through the settings page of the addon.

At the moment I can do pretty much everything I need to but the whole thing is contingent on RunScript.

Which works.

But what I'm running into is there is no notification for when the button is selected.

All I need is a "confirmation" popup, something that can notify me that the button press was received by kodi.

(example: Autowidget menu, force refresh widgets has a quick pop up that shows the action was "started")

How would I go about doing this?

I've tried google searching terms with "notifications" dialog" but everything was beyond what I'm trying to accomplish.

Or completely off topic..

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I've been reading this since you posted it, and trying to search up how to use it. But I just don't understand.

Do I add that to a script? Python or shell?

Or do I add that to the settings label?

I don't understand how to use jsonrpc. Or what it is.

These two files make up the entirety of my addon:

Example of My settings.xml:

Code
    <setting label="Turn On and Off" type="lsep"/>
    <setting label="Set Fan to 100%" type="action" action="RunScript(/storage/.kodi/addons/script.hellotestwindow/resources/scripts/TurnFan_On.py)"/>

and the TurnFan_On.py

Code
    import os
    os.system('echo "pwm_100" > /dev/ttyUSB0')

I do have an installer button, that copies an installer(from within the addon) I made for a case fan(Deskpi Pro) to /storage/ and runs it.

I tried putting that code in a test.py file and using the code I have above to run it. I also tried an sh file.

But nothing happens.

I also added it to the TurnFan_On.py file, and still nothing happens.

I'm utterly lost.

How do I use that?

Do I pass it as a argument?

I don't know where to put it to even test it.

And even when I google kodi jsonrpc. The wiki says this:

JSON-RPC is a HTTP- and/or raw TCP socket-based interface for communicating with Kodi. It replaces the deprecated HTTP API, and offers a more secure and robust mechanism in the same format. It is based upon the JSON-RPC 2.0 specification.

I don't understand why I would need to connect via http/tcp to send a user notification that a button inside an addon settings was executed/pressed.

I just don't understand. And I feel like an idiot for it lol

• VPETER!!!! <3

THAT WORKED,

But when I went to the kodi wiki link you posted it said:

Since we require all used strings to be localized (translatable) we recommend the second option.

So I decided to use:

(although I doubt my addon would get implemented in the main repo, or get/need translating.)

Although the icon isn't coming up. But I think I might be able to figure that out, not a biggie if not though.

The "i" works perfectly.

I also saw:

Which is AWESOME.

Plus changing .ok to .yesno seems to add some fun options.

Although I suspect I would have to start implementing more substantial code to have that functionality, and I could barely do this atm.

There's ALSO some json rpc examples at the bottom.

THANK YOU!!!! THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED.