4K HDR10 videos are too dark on Samsung Q60R TV - LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.2

• Hello all. I tried couple of 4K HDR10 movies (Spider Man No Way Home, The Matrix Trilogy, LOTR Trilogy) and realized that the picture is more saturated and much darker than it is on Samsung Q60 TV's native player. Some scenes are just unwatchable. Even i fiddled with the TV settings and it is still darker. I wonder if anyone has this problem. I can confirm that TV recieves the HDR signal and it auto switches to HDR mode. I would use the native player but it doesn't passthrough Dolby True HD atmos but only DD Plus Atmos to soundbar. By the way my RPi 4 is connected to Samsung HW Q70 soundbar.

I also connected my laptop with HDMI and played HDR content without any darkness issues with the same movies.

Thank you very much.

• Check your TV settings, most likely you have different picture settings configured for the internal player than for the HDMI port with your RPi.

I'm not familiar with your Samsung TV but on my LG OLED the picture settings (Cinema/Game/Sports etc preset, brightness, picture "enhancements" etc) are separate per HDMI port and internal player / apps again have separate settings.

so long,

Hias

• Check your TV settings, most likely you have different picture settings configured for the internal player than for the HDMI port with your RPi.

I'm not familiar with your Samsung TV but on my LG OLED the picture settings (Cinema/Game/Sports etc preset, brightness, picture "enhancements" etc) are separate per HDMI port and internal player / apps again have separate settings.

so long,

Hias

Weird.

Can you explain, why you have a much darker screen with a clean LE10 than a clean LE9 installation?

• Can you explain, why you have a much darker screen with a clean LE10 than a clean LE9 installation?

LE9 has no support for HDR. If you play a HDR video then the colours will be completely wrong (and typically brighter/more washed out) than they should be.

LE10 does support HDR.

• LE9 has no support for HDR. If you play a HDR video then the colours will be completely wrong (and typically brighter/more washed out) than they should be.

LE10 does support HDR.

No, you have this case with a full HD movie, it is not depending on HDR files.

• LE9 has no support for HDR. If you play a HDR video then the colours will be completely wrong (and typically brighter/more washed out) than they should be.

LE10 does support HDR.

And in addition to that TVs usually have separate picture settings/prrofiles for SDR and HDR (again per port, eg on my LG TV). So even if you had set up brightness etc before, in SDR mode, that very likely won't have any effect in HDR - you need to adjust that again, separately.

so long,

Hias

• Im gonna repeat it...

You have the same settings on TV, AVR, ...

You have a 1080p movie and and a clean LE 9 and LE 10 install.

The picture is on LE 10 much darker.

Many users reported that issue in forums ;)

• JohnWayne111 this thread is about 4k HDR issues (see title). If you have issues with SDR files this is very likely a different issue which should be discussed in a separate thread - don't hijack this thread.

so long,

Hias

• Eventually i flashed Libreelec 10.0.0 and the issue is gone now. Everything is visible with 4K HDR10 movies, brightness and the colors seem accurate. Now that i am sure it is not TV related.

• Hello,

I'm new here and I'm glad someone has the same problem :)

TV: OLED77G19LA
    Raspberry pi4b 4gb

After switching from Libreelec 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 all 4K movies (ISOs) are extremely dark.. I suspect it is related to "RPi4 support for 10/12bit video output".. I don't have a device between the Pi and the TV! Just an hdmi 2.1 cable. With various settings on the TV I can reduce the effect a bit, but it's no comparison to before. I also tried Libreelec 11.. same problem.. If there are any tips or I can test something for you.. gladly

I'm back to 10.0.1 now.

lg

• Please provide debug logs: enable debug logging in kodi, reboot, start playing a problematic file, then ssh in (while file is playing) and run

Code
    pastekodi
    modetest | pastebinit

and post the two URLs you got.

so long,

Hias

• Code
    hello, thanks for the quick feedback!

At the moment i couldn't reproduce it. 🤨
    I'll run both versions for the next few days and pay attention.
    I'll get in touch, of course, and keep reading.

Best regards
  • Hello all. I tried couple of 4K HDR10 movies (Spider Man No Way Home, The Matrix Trilogy, LOTR Trilogy) and realized that the picture is more saturated and much darker than it is on Samsung Q60 TV's native player. Some scenes are just unwatchable. Even i fiddled with the TV settings and it is still darker. I wonder if anyone has this problem. I can confirm that TV recieves the HDR signal and it auto switches to HDR mode. I would use the native player but it doesn't passthrough Dolby True HD atmos but only DD Plus Atmos to soundbar. By the way my RPi 4 is connected to Samsung HW Q70 soundbar.

I also connected my laptop with HDMI and played HDR content without any darkness issues with the same movies.

Thank you very much.

The HDMI UHD Color is enabled on your TV?

• Find and select “Settings” on your TV.
    • Select “General,” and then select “External Device Manager” .
    • Scroll and select “HDMI UHD Color.”
    • Select the HDMI port that your rPI is connected to turn on
  • Please provide debug logs: enable debug logging in kodi, reboot, start playing a problematic file, then ssh in (while file is playing) and run

Code
    pastekodi
    modetest | pastebinit

and post the two URLs you got.

so long,

Hias

Hi, I've the same issue with every 4k file I play.

Here the logs :

http://ix.io/46zk

http://ix.io/46zl

In my modest opinion, when playing 4k, it switches the hdmi black level to full instead of limited.

Hope you'll find something.

Thanks

• Remove the piracy crap repositories and addons and post another log when you have issues with legit media - you are violating forum rules that you agreed to when signing up here.

so long,

Hias