Skipping/Stuttering on SD IPTV with 10.0.2

• Hello!

I have a weird problem with my RPi4 since i updated to LE 10.0.2

I watch TV Streams via TV-Headend-Server and TV Headend Client. It worked fine with LE 10.0.1

Since 10.0.2, the 720x576@50 streams started to stutter and to skip frames. The 1280x720@50 streams work fine, so it doesn‘t seem to be a performance issue. I tested using force_turbo=1 and/or core_freq_min=500 in the config.txt though to no avail.

So, HD-Streams@50fps work fine, while SD-Streams@50fps don’t.

I turned off the new deinterlace option available on 10.0.2 , it reduced the stuttering but didn‘t remove it.

I have a sample 720x576@50 stream, it‘s only 9mb in size.

Greetings, Dominique

A sample Stream is located here (plays fine with 10.0.1, skipping/stutter with 10.0.2, always reproduceable):

https://file.io/1KVGjfojiB1U
    shared with file.io - super simple file sharing
    file.io
    iptv-50fps-720x576-sample
    www.mediafire.com

Edited 5 times, last by ApexDE (March 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM).

• Thanks for the report and the sample, I could reproduce the issue and have pinged RPi devs.

It seems to be an issue with HW video decoding, when disabling that (in settings->player) the sample plays fine - you could use that as a temporary workaround.

so long,

Hias

• Thanks for investigating! I tried turning off the PRIME Decoder completely, which didn‘t cure the problem. The trick is to leave the PRIME Decoder activated but to turn off only PRIME HW acceleration. This way it‘s indeed working again as before :)

So the issue seems to be in „basic“ software decoding also.

Edited once, last by ApexDE (March 14, 2022 at 7:42 AM).

• when does the PRIME HW Acceleration kick in anyway?

Which parts of the decoding benefit?

I can't find a difference, other than the SD IPTV working again ;) Maybe the HW Acceleration is only relevant for 4K? (i only use Full-HD)

• is there a possibility to turn HW Acceleration on/off with a shortcut on the remote?

Is there a kodi-send command to toggle HW Acceleration?

Is there a possibility to turn on HW Acceleration only for HEVC content?

Edited once, last by ApexDE (March 16, 2022 at 8:14 PM).

• OK, i installed via update folder and can confirm the fix is working :)

The problematic SDTV Streams are running fine now, the Prime HW decoder ist working again as with 10.0.1

Thanks! This fix will be in 10.0.3 then?

• Has the "plain" decoder (w/o PRIME) been fixed too? (i had the same issues when using the plain decoder w/o PRIME too)

No, the fix is in hardware decode specific code.

If it's failing without PRIME, then it suggests a core ffmpeg issue (so will affect kodi on any platform not using hw decode) and will affect many other players that use ffmpeg internally.

Did the original sample provided have the issue?

• Success also reported here:

sunny
    April 19, 2022 at 8:35 AM
  • sorry HiassofT , i have to warm up this topic. The stuttering bug is back with 11.0.1.

Once i updated to LE 11.0.1 i have problems with my SD TV Streams again. I hope you still have my provided sample or it's still available for download (see first post)

It's reproduceable once HW decoding is active. The streams work fine with software decoding.

It's not as heavy as it was in 10.0.2 but still very annoying.

Heres the sample (again)

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/78b0aec1-327c-4682-a7bd-7655e41b9b12

Edited 2 times, last by ApexDE (May 30, 2023 at 11:08 AM).