Libreelec from Pi 4 4gb to 8gb - update required?

• Hi all,

I am running the latest Libreelec on my Raspberry Pi 4 4gb. Got a new Pi 4 with 8gb and tried to just insert the microSD but got the error message that a software update is required for this platform.

Is there a way to do this witout losing all settings on the Libreelec/Kodi? Or can the settings be backed up, then Libreelec reinstalled to the Pi 8gb?

Thank you!!

D.

• Screenshot might help and LE version your running, but my guess here is you might have an incompatibility between the EEPROM & bootloader? You could try using Raspbian to install the latest EEPROM, and try the SD again.

IMO 8GB is way excessive for a media center, 2GB is plenty and 4GB is generous.

There are some rev 1.6 boards that I have heard may require bootloader updates. So you might need to try to update to LE 10.0.2, if your still on LE 9.2.x and earlier then the recommend path is a fresh install.

Edited once, last by frakkin64 (March 10, 2022 at 12:52 AM).

• The LE 9.2.8 img will not boot on the newest revisions of RPi4 boards as the boot firmware in the image is too old. We have no plans to release any updated LE 9.2 versions so the best thing to do is use LE 10.0.2 which should boot fine on all RPi4 hardware.

• The LE 9.2.8 img will not boot on the newest revisions of RPi4 boards as the boot firmware in the image is too old. We have no plans to release any updated LE 9.2 versions so the best thing to do is use LE 10.0.2 which should boot fine on all RPi4 hardware.

Code
    It is absolutely possible to run LE 9.2.8 in the newest revisions of RPi4 boards. Flash the sd card with 10.0.2. Copy 'start.elf' and 'fixup.dat'. Now flash the sd card with 9.2.8 and replace the files. Then it works.
  • Sure, the OS will run on the latest boards if the correct firmware is present, but the "as released" image does not contain that firmware and will not boot. Changing that that would require an LE 9.2.9 image that we have no plan to create or release as LE 10.x/11.x now have much better (more feature complete) hardware support for RPi4.