[UNOFFICIAL][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• Hi ykaj,

first of all, thanks for all the amazing work you've been doing to keep our old rk322x boxes alive!

thank you, your words are very appreciated.

When I ran armbian with mainline kernel (the same version your LE build is using), I could use my external adapter normally to connect to wifi. What am I missing? Is there anything I could do to activate my external wifi dongle and make it permanently usable? Perhaps try to compile myself the proper module? Or could you try to include this (I've read elsewhere that rtl8188ftv works with rtl8188fu module) in a future build?

I've noticed that this driver should be soon merged in the official kernel (https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-…[email protected]/).

Anyway, for me there is no problem in including this driver, but at this moment I can't build & test newer builds. So you should wait until next week.

If you want to try to build yourself libreelec(feel free to ask how), this is the commit that you can keep as an example

and if works you can send me a pull request.

Cheers

Michele

• Hi Michele,

kodi 18.9 and libreelec 9.2 are out of support by me and netflix kodi addon maintainer. So basically the addon version for kodi 18.x simply does not work anymore.

Ok, got it. 18.x is out of the picture. 19+ here we go!

I'm a sporadic retrogamer (and I love 8-bit platforms), so never tried a playstation emulator. Which emulator are you using(pcsx, duckstation.. etc etc)?!?!?! I can try to update binary addon and if works send patch upstream.

Now, about 19+ and the emulators issue, I have tried many options such as BeetlePSX HW and PCSX reARMed, which worked fine on kodi18, but simply won’t work on 19… Also, I cannot run Retroarch! It installs, but doesn’t start, doesn’t run at all, keeps resetting the board =/

With my builds, netflix works decent if you set video resolution == streaming resolution. The box can reproduce a <=720p netflix stream only with 720p display resolution.

Other combinations may not works (specially on ddr2 box). This is because kodi supports hardware video decoding (for drm protected streaming)only on Android. So with libreelec is all software decoded, and the cpu/gpu has no power to decode and render at the same time. Keep in mind also that in my builds I'm using the open-source GPU driver. Which is a bit slower, but better because it's open.

Yeah, same configs I tried. I do not feel the need to go over 720p. But it’s all very, very slow. Slow to the point where the subtitles are more advanced than the video. It’s unwatchable.

never seen before 8) . Is a board with ddr2 or ddr3!??!(I've recognized the wifi ssv6051p chip and maybe the NAND)

It’s 100% eMMc and also 2gb DDR3! All I’m looking for is to run KODI from the SDCard with Netflix, Amazon, and PS1/SNES/GBA games (don’t care about being IAGL or Retroarch, or…….)

Cheers

Danilo

• ilmich ,

thanks for your reply!
    I'm not in a hurry, as tinkering with my mxqpro is just a once-in-a-while hobby, so I can wait until you have time and energy to merge the required driver into the next build. Also, the driver being merged into the official kernel will solve my problem for good.

I'm patiently waiting for the next build.

Best regards!

• As is the way with eBay - I got sent a device with a RK3128 - with only 2GB of flash...
    So tried just to get Android Kodi and snapclient to work, using shared database and was going to run some cron jobs on a vm utilising adb to keep kodi alive AND periodically clean the cache..

I even blocked it from reaching out to internet and internet reaching it (unless one of my other devices get owned)

BUT The audio output was screwed.. terrible ground noise coming out it.. I've ordered one of those silly 3.5mm to RCA spdif cables.. but I don't trust it and am processing the return.. I'm hoping they can send a 3128a or 3129 and will see how it goes.

So the solution was messy but may have been okay just to play audio..

I have a backup plan if it takes a while to get one, or it is not supported again.

• ilmich ,

thanks for your reply!
    I'm not in a hurry, as tinkering with my mxqpro is just a once-in-a-while hobby, so I can wait until you have time and energy to merge the required driver into the next build. Also, the driver being merged into the official kernel will solve my problem for good.

I'm patiently waiting for the next build.

Best regards!

a little more patience. I have received other boxes and have noticed some problems that I'm trying to resolve. The driver will be there in the next build but I can't test it. In the meantime, can you check that your USB stick is not also seen as an optical support to install the drivers?!?! Because in that case the mode switch must be done, like here https://github.com/ilmich/LibreEL…odeswitch.rules, but I would need the vendorid and deviceid

• Yeah, same configs I tried. I do not feel the need to go over 720p. But it’s all very, very slow. Slow to the point where the subtitles are more advanced than the video. It’s unwatchable.

hmm that's weird. Have you configured the inputstream.adaptive addon to limit it to 720 for secure (drm protected) streaming?!

Can you send me some kodi logs please!?

For emulation, it's been a while since I used it (although fbneo and snes seemed to work). I'll do some tests and let you know

• Hi AllanK,

sadly sometimes sellers are unreliable.

So did you get an rk3128 or an rk3228?! Because they are two different socs (my builds are for rk322x boards). I have in my hands an rk3128 box which is similar to the rk3229 but I haven't started doing anything yet. Technically libreelec should go decent on that platform.

• Hi ilmich

It's a 3128 (advertised as a 3228A) ..

I can't find any evidence of a librelec build that will work..

It has a horrible ground noise problem when trying to use the internal DAC.. Which doesn't give me great confidence in the unit. However if the seller fails to issue the return mail slip, I'll be happy to hold on to it and test anything you do.

• There is no libreelec working yet for rk3128.

But basically it's similar to rk3228a (just no 4k and no vp9 hw decoding).

I'll try to do something for sure but I need some time.

• There is no libreelec working yet for rk3128.

But basically it's similar to rk3228a (just no 4k and no vp9 hw decoding).

I'll try to do something for sure but I need some time.

Ah.. that's what I suspected..

We'll see if I hold on to it.
    Otherwise there seems to be plenty of 3229 boxes.

• a little more patience. I have received other boxes and have noticed some problems that I'm trying to resolve. The driver will be there in the next build but I can't test it. In the meantime, can you check that your USB stick is not also seen as an optical support to install the drivers?!?! Because in that case the mode switch must be done, like here https://github.com/ilmich/LibreEL…odeswitch.rules, but I would need the vendorid and deviceid

Hi, Michele, sorry for taking too long to respond.

Lately I've been really busy, so I don't know when exactly I can check what you asked, but I'm doing it as soon as I have some spare time to plug everything and get my mxq some cabled network in order to run shell commands via ssh (for now, no network access because wifi doesn't work :S ).

Anyways, all of your further work is appreciated and I am glad to help in whatever way I can.

Best regards!

• Helo.

This is information about my box

MXG-4K 5G

Board: rk30sdk

Hardware: rk30board

Platform: rk322x

Serial: QEGR49ERMK

CPU: RockChip RK3229

WIFI: AP6210

Can I boot Libreelec fromSD card and how do that? Whitch version will be work, or witch version I can try?

Thank you.

• Hi ykaj,

one way to see this is through windows (linux would be better of course). Just insert the device into the usb port and if you see a removable device (like cd) to install the drivers then your device need mode switch.

Then to see the vendorid and deviceid you can do it by inspecting that device from the control panel.

But don't worry, when I release the new build (it's around the corner) let's try to do some tests.